Chapter XII

"I speak on behalf of the mine and the leaders of the sixteenth, seventeenth and eighteenth houses when I say, everything is ready for the battle princess," the leader of the fifteenth safe house informed.

I nodded, looking around at the people inside the Westbrooks's house, "I have been told that the remainder of leaders and the people entrusted to them are also ready," I stated. Fear washed over me as I prepared for what I said next, "go to your homes and inform everyone who signed up to be ready with horses, armour and weapons for battle on the morrow. Essie, Gisela and I will lead a company of two hundred through a secret way into the castle to destroy the dark prince, Adar and William will lead the rest of the people to storm the castle and drive his army onto the plains for war."

The leaders bowed their heads, "as you say, princess."

"We will meet in the forest, an hour before first light," I instructed, "that will give us the element of surprise."

After the leaders left, Essie turned to me with a smile, "I am so proud of you," she professed, "I am eager to follow my princess into battle."

"I know you say that, but I do not feel like a princess," I admitted, "yes, I spent a few years living in a castle, but I grew up in a humble home on the edge of town, keeping a store and caring for chickens. I do not feel worthy, I am less than you," I turned to see Gisela, Adar and William had stepped into the room, and sighed. "You have all done so much for the kingdom, yet what have I done? Nothing. And still, I am to be called princess and given dominion over all the people, it doesn't feel right. It was because of me that hundreds of Argalands warriors were murdered! I can never be the princess the people deserve, I will never be perfect like my father was. I do not know what to do, or how to be a princess."

"The king was not perfect," William stated, "he questioned his every action, none of the royalty ever know what they are doing, even if they train their entire life. None knows how to be a ruler, because no one's ever the same, but that's the beauty of it. You get to choose what kind of ruler you want to be. You get to set the standard."

"And you have done something for the people," Essie declared, "look at how far we've come together, there is none other in the kingdom that I would call my princess, and after this battle, I will call you my queen."

                                                                                                 ~~~~~

"Where is the last cart of swords?!" Adar yelled, strapping a metal breastplate over his thick leather outfit, "we still have fifty with no weapons!"

"Delayed!" William's deep voice called from a while back in the forest, "one of their horses fell and tangled it's reins."

"Then cut it loose!" The archer responded, "we don't have time to spare."

"Here Essie," I said, handing her some thick leather pads, "put these on, I'll find you a breastplate once the cart arrives."

She nodded and began strapping them on, I did the same and covered my forearms with a metal casing.

"Amirah!" Adar called, walking over to me, "where is your armour?"

"I don't have it all yet," I answered, "Essie and I still waiting for that cart."

He nodded, then spoke, "you need to cover your hair."

I frowned, "why?"

"Yes," Essie stated, "you do not want to be the target."

"The soldiers will be after the princess," Gisela added, clasping armour to her shins.

At last, the horse cart arrived, its driver jumping down and handing out armour, "here princess," he said, handing me a heavy set and a helmet. I clasped on the armour, but left the helmet, something about it feeling wrong.