Chapter X

The cool wind rustled the red and yellow leaves of the towering trees, causing the fiery sheets to flutter and rest on the dirt path. The white and grey bark of the trees felt pleasantly rough under my touch, reminding me to appreciate the beauty of nature after so many days within it. Bird songs echoed inside the forest, and I smiled at their merry tune, adjusting the blue shawl covering my head.

Two weeks had gone by since my friends and I arrived in the capital city, and in that time we had recruited many brave souls to fight in our coming uprising. I went out each day into the forest and took the path that led to many homes a while away from the city; so far I had gained almost half of the inhabitants for our cause.

Essie and Gisela were travelling independently throughout the town igniting the people against the dark prince. Now that they had news of my return, they were very successful.

Adar was exploring the surrounding countryside, finding men and women travelling alone and inviting them to not only join the cause but to help spread the news.

"Excuse me, Miss?" A voice called me from behind, "are you lost?"

I turned to see a pilgrim with a long wooden walking stick in his hand, "no I am not lost," I answered, "I am enjoying the forest."

"Well, you best be careful travelling along this path," he warned, and pointed to the far left, "down there is a ravine and a prison."

"Who dwells there?" I questioned.

"Before I answer, tell me this," the traveller began, "in a storm-."

"We must put down and anchor to save the people," I cut in quickly, "I am trustworthy, please tell me, is the prison run by the dark prince? If so I fear many good people might be locked up."

The man nodded, "there are no thieves nor evil men inside," he declared gravely, "it is a dungeon for all of the late king's soldiers. Hundreds of warriors were sent to that place. Ever since the rumour of the princess's return."

"I cannot leave them there," I whispered, clenching my hands into a fist, "good day Sir."

"Lass," he called after me, "be careful."

I nodded and continued in the direction of the prison. A while later I saw a dark grey stone building in the distance, similar to the place Essie and I were locked up weeks ago. Keeping my hand on the hilt of my sword, I stayed close to the trees as my eyes searched for a way in.

A crashing sound of someone charging me suddenly came from behind and a sword swung in my direction. I spun around and jumped back, pulling my sword from its sheath.

I fearfully met the eyes of my attacker and trembled as I recognised him as the general of the dark prince's army.

"You are planning to rescue the Prince's prisoners aren't you?" He growled.

"They do not belong to him," I shot back angrily, "release them now or I will end you!"

A booming laugh came from my enemy, "you do not stand a chance foolish girl! I now know that you are in the capital, and I will warn my lord!"

I gritted my teeth, using the element of surprise I said, "yes you are right. I have no chance, and I surrender myself to you."

Taking advantage of his confusion, I swung my sword towards him with all my strength and plunged the blade deep into his left shoulder.

He roared at me and used his right arm to send his rusted blade at me, I jumped backwards but it caught the side of my bare arm, the jagged edges tearing through my skin.

Smiling with evil intent the general again swung at me, but this time I met his blade in the air with mine, straining against the pressure I yelled, "give up!"