Chapter 16

"Sure ka na ba dito, Selene?" tanong ni Karaleen sa akin habang tinitingnan ko ang kanyang cellphone.

Sinabi ko sa kanya na tawagan niya si Kuya Io. I don't have their number and maybe if the number isn't registered to their contacts, baka hindi sagutin.

Magpapakita na ako sa kanila pagkatapos ng limang taon.

I told myself that I should stop hiding and start living for my son and if calling my brother is the first step that I can do, then so be it.

"First off, can you please stop calling me that?" natatawa kong sabi sa kanya.

"Huh? I was calling you 'Selene' since then!"

"And you know that I hated it."

She scoffed and said, "But you're letting me to call you that since—"

"Okay fine." I said then took a glimpsed of my son having fun with Karean.

"Hello, Io." Karaleen said that made me looked in her way abruptly since I didn't know she would call kuya immediately after we speak.

"Yes, of course. I would gladly to bring Rean in your house. Kailan ba?" she asked.

They are close? I didn't know it. Ang alam ko lang ay nag-uusap sila dahil sa akin, dahil hinahanap ako ni Kuya sa kanya paminsan-minsan.

The time when Phoenix begged, that was the time I ran away from the house with just my phone and money then asked for Karaleen's help.

"Hello, Karaleen Williams speaking. Who's this?" she said as she answered the phone.

"Karaleen, si Selene 'to."

"Selene? Oh. Napatawag ka? Sorry, I deleted some of my contacts kaya—"

"I need your help." I whispered to her. Afraid someone might hear me in this four walls of my condo unit.

Twenty minutes after I told her my location, she was already here.

"What?! You ran from home while you're three months pregnant?!" she exclaimed.

"Yeah. I just knew it this morning. That's why when Phoenix begged—"

"Phoenix? Akala ko ba si Aidan?"

My brows furrowed because of her reaction.

"S-Si Aidan naman siguro ang—"

"Siguro?!"

Simula nun. Inisip ko na talagang malayo ang loob niya sa amin noong kolehiyo kami. She seemed to be ang jolly woman. Talagang patong-patong lang ang kanyang mga problema kaya siya nagkaganon.

"Earth to Selene," napabalik ako sa wisyo nang binulong niya sa akin ang mga salitang iyon habang inaabot sa akin ang kanyang telepono.

Kinuha ko iyon nang may alinlangan.

"Hello?" I heard my brother at the other line.

"Kuya Io," tawag ko sa kanya at tumahimik ang kabilang linya.

"Sorry." tangi kong nasabi dahil ilang segundo rin siyang natahimik.

"Can we—" he said then sniffed. "Can we see you?"

I smiled.

"Of course. When and where?"

"In our house. Luna and Chandra went to London kaya baka wala sila bukas ng umaga. Some brands took Chandra as their ambassador, she said she wanted to be like you, May." he said, clearly crying silently, like me.