Chapter Three

"Yes sir?" You crack the door open as you knock.

"Come in," Fury calls, standing from his desk and leaning against it on the other side as you enter.

"What did you need?" You ask.

"I called you here to talk about the Avengers Initiative." The Director gestures to a chair and you sit, taking the file he passes you and scanning it.

Once done, you look up. "And you want me to join." Its a statement of fact, not question.

Fury nods. "Yes. Agents Romanoff and Barton, who I know you are close to, are already a part of it."

"When do I leave?"

"Now." You nod, flashing back to when you found Nat packing to leave.

"Yes sir." You turn to go, hand on the knob, when Fury's voice stops you.

"Oh, and, Agent Y/l/n?"

"Sir?"

"Don't tell Barton, will you? Romanoff knows, but keep it a secret for a little longer?"

"Yes sir." You leave, walking back and packing your things. You hug Daisy after explaining the situation to her, and rush to say your goodbyes to Jemma, Fitz, Mack, Yo-yo, Deke, Lincoln, Phil, and May. Then, you leave with Fury to the Avengers tower, twisting your engagement ring nervously.

When you get to the tower, Nat comes out to greet you, grabbing your bags to take them to your room while Patch the Pirate (a/n: yes, you're like Tony with the nicknames—or rather, I am) takes you to the room where he has the meeting set up.

"You're going to wait out there while I talk to them, don't come in until my signal."

"Yes sir." You stand in the hallway, on the other side of the one-way glass, and watch as the six Avengers file in intermittently.

Steve comes in first, before Bruce, Nat, and then Clint, and you wait until Thor enters, before Tony finally decides to show up.

"Stark," Fury says, "glad you decided to show up."

"You're welcome," the billionaire replies, bowing. You stop yourself from chuckling as you wait for Fury to 'give the signal'. What signal even is it?

Finally, after debriefing and other information, the S.H.I.E.L.D. Director says, "Oh, and I have an addition to your little team."

I take it that that is the signal, you think, sauntering in the room and standing beside Fury. An almost imperceptible nod let's you know that you were correct in your assumption.

"Oh!" Tony snaps his fingers. "I know you!"

Steve rolls his eyes. "We all do, Tony. Battle of New York girl. Y/n, right?"

You nod. "Agent Y/n Y/l/n." Out of the corner of your eye, you notice Clint still sitting there in shock, and Nat beside him, smirking.

"So, question—what are your powers, again?" Bruce asks, breaking the silence.

"Stamina, agility, flight, and photon blasters, but mostly just super-strength. Like, that wave of energy that shut down the airship? Just from me ramming into it, from like my strength stuff." You shrug. "I don't know, I've never been good at explaining this. Basically just energy from fighting and fighting itself, if that makes sense?"

Tony nods thoughtfully. "Do you have a suit?"

"I mean, standard-issue suit," you answer, looking at Fury.

"Okay, Bruce and I will get to work on it."

"How did you get your powers?" Steve asks.

"I- I actually don't know," you answer, brushing a piece of hair out of your face. As you do so, your engagement ring glistens in the light. Bad move.