1 ☽ prologue.

Florence portrayed by Lily Collins.

p r o l o g u e

August 31st, 1971

Florence wasn't a particularly loud person.
She kept to herself and did what she could to survive, for being a girl on the cruel streets of London, life was not all that easy. So the faithful night of July 31st, the night of her eleventh birthday, she was sitting I between two dumpsters underneath a sheet of scrap plastic in attempt to shelter herself from Londons unforgiving rain, a most beautiful animal fluttered down and dropped two letters onto her shivering lap.
The magnificent bird then perched itself next to her and nibbled at her trembling fingers.

She stroked his fluffy velvet red head and smiled kindly.

"Hello."

She then proceeded to turn to her rucksack and ripped a piece of her roll and fed it to her new temporary friend. She then looked down to her lap and picked up the first letter. Odd, she though, no one ever sent her letters. How did they even find me?

Miss F. Nightingale
Between the dumpsters under the plastic
An alleyway in London

Her eyebrows furrowed in confusion.
Turning it over she finds a red wax seal with a odd looking logo of some sort. Ripping the back open I pulled out the lengthy letter.

HOGWARTS SCHOOL
OF
WITCHCRAFT AND WIZARDRY
Headmaster: Albus Dumbledore
(Order of Merlin, First Class, Grande Sorc., Chf. Warlock, Supreme Mugwump, international Confed. Of Wizards)

Dear Miss Nightingale,

We are pleased to inform you that you have been accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Please find an enclosed list of all the necessary books and equipment you will need. Term begins on September 1st. We await your reply no later than July 31st.

Yours sincerely,
Minerva McGonagall
Deputy Headmistress

Like the letter said, there was an enclosed list of assorted necessary items that would need to be purchased. Her eyes widened at the amount of money that would need to be spent, money she didn't have.
She then looked down at the second letter, picking it up she realised it was rather heavy for just parchment.

Miss Florence Nightingale, was scribbled across the front.
Ripping the letter open she scanned through the words.

Florence,

I have sent Fawkes to send you your acceptance letter,
since you currently have no guardian present,
Fawkes will bring you to a dear friend of mine and he will help you with purchasing your items for school.
There is a key in the envelope which will give you access to your Gringotts vault.

I hope dearly to see you at Hogwarts,
Albus Dumbledore.

I'm a witch. It would make an awful lot of sense.

You see, Florence wasn't always homeless, living out on the curb.
She had a family, but not a very nice one, her father was a strict business man and her mother was apart of the country women's association. Both were constantly busy. Both were constantly lying.

And when Florence had shown 'witchery' she was thrown on the streets. Her Aunt Betty, her mothers sister, had been a witch. A great one too, Florence's grandma would always brag before being scolded by mother about taking about that filth under her roof.
But Aunt Betty had died a year before Florence's birth, no one really knows how, Grandma said that there are dark people in the world who kill mercilessly. Grandma always told her interesting things, unlike her parents, the only words that left there lips were scoldings or orders.

Now your probably wondering why she didn't go live with her Grandma, the reason is because her Grandma died the day before she was thrown out. That was how Florence's 'witchery' was found out about.

August 29th, 1971

It was the day of her funeral and Florence was crying. Tears stained her pale cheeks as she sobbed into her midnight black dress. Clicking heals alerted her someone was approaching, and that someone would be her mother.

She was then heaved off the church steps and dragged towards the car by her small arm.

"Let me go!" Florence practically screamed, her voice as high pitch as a nightingale.

"No we are leaving this instant, stop whinging!" Her mothers words her sharp and harsh.

"No-no I'm not leaving her." Florence tried to yank her arm out of her mothers but to no avail, it did not budge.

"She's dead you little brat, get over it!"

That's when she broke. She ripped her arm from her mothers iron grip, mothers nails scratching her.

"I hate you!" Florence screamed until her throat was raw. The smashing of glass could be heard, echoing throughout the street.

She looked down at her mother who was on the ground in a pile of glass, her father jumping out of the windowless car raced down to his wife, tears streamed down Florence's face. And then she saw her mothers expression. Disgust. Hatred. Not an ounce of remorse or grief flittered across her face as she spoke the crushing words, "Leave, and never come back."

Florence stood frozen.

"I said leave you stupid brat!"

So she ran, she ran and she did not stop. Broken glass littered the streets, all the windows of the cars were shattered. Just like Florence's heart.

Comment your thoughts, negative or positive I want to know. Ps. Florence will be played by Lily Collins, and this has nothing to do with the 'Florence Nightingale' - h4ppie