xxvii.

On their next camping trip, they unpack in the clearing as usual, but then Father tells Hyungwon he has a special treat. Hyungwon follows Father a little deeper into the woods, and they emerge at a small lake that has the clearest water Hyungwon has ever seen.

Well? Father asks Hyungwon as he puts an arm around his shoulder, Do you like it?

Hyungwon says he does. His eyes are skimming across the water, and he wants to jump in. He asks Father if they can swim, and Father says of course they can swim, but first, what do good little boys say when they receive something nice?

Hyungwon thinks for a moment before grinning and saying thank you, and Father nods before saying that he's welcome. Then Father tells Hyungwon that since there's no one else out here, they can take off their clothes to swim. That way, they won't get them all wet.

Hyungwon says okay – he's never gone skinny dipping before and it sounds exciting. He throws off his shirt, socks, pants, and underwear on the shore along with his shoes, and he splashes into the water, whooping as the frigid water meets his skin. It's cold but he doesn't want to get out.

Father joins him a minute later, and they swim around together in the lake until Hyungwon's teeth are chattering against each other. Father notices – he always pays special attention to Hyungwon – and says that they should probably get out.

Hyungwon is sad to go, but they leave the water behind and step back onto the shore. As they start putting their clothes back on, Hyungwon accidentally looks over at Father and quickly looks away, but Father says it's okay to look and that Hyungwon didn't do anything wrong, and didn't Hyungwon remember what they'd talked about last time? How it was okay to be naked with people you loved?

Hyungwon says that he remembers, and Father tells him that he's a good boy. Father says Hyungwon can look at Father if he wants or even touch him, but Hyungwon says he doesn't know. It seems strange to him.

Father takes one of Hyungwon's hands in his own and slowly guides Hyungwon's hand until his palm is resting on Father's thigh. There, Father says, Is that so strange?

Hyungwon crinkles his nose and tells Father that his legs are hairy.

Father laughs, and the two of them finish putting on their clothes.

Hyungwonremembers how, even though the water was cold, Father's skin felt warm beneathhis hand.