xxxi.

It's later that year that Hyungwon is invited over to a friend's house for the first time. Or at least, Jooheon calls himself Hyungwon's friend, but Hyungwon isn't sure yet. He thinks maybe it would be nice to have a friend.

Ever since Jooheon approached him on the bench, Hyungwon has been observing Jooheon. They're in the same class, and Jooheon sits with him at lunch now. Most days, Jooheon leaves after school to go to a club he's in. Hyungwon can't go of course, but he still thinks that it would be nice.

When Hyungwon asks Father for permission to go to Jooheon's house, Father seems suspicious, as though he doesn't like Jooheon even though he's never met him. Hyungwon tells Father that it's okay, he doesn't have to go, but he finds himself secretly hoping Father will let him.

Father says okay, but that they will spend time together after Hyungwon comes home from Jooheon's. Hyungwon hurriedly agrees and leaves the house, checking the address that Jooheon wrote down for him. Hyungwon has a phone, but it only has Father's number in it and Father told him he can't have anyone else's. The phone is special, used only for the two of them. Sometimes Father sends him pictures or messages that make Hyungwon uncomfortable, but if he doesn't reply, then Father will be upset, so he has to keep it on all the time. He hopes Father doesn't message him while he's with Jooheon.

But for now, he focuses on getting to Jooheon's house. When he arrives, he notices that it's a lot different from his own. The garden beds are carefully managed, and while the lawn looks neat and trim, there are a few toys scattered across the grass. Hyungwon knocks on the door, and it opens inward, revealing not Jooheon but two little boys who look identical. Their eyes are wide and curious, and their hair sticks up in funny little points.

"JOOHEON!" one of them yells, and Hyungwon takes a step back to distance himself from the sudden loudness. "YOUR FRIEND IS HERE!"

Jooheon appears a second later, pushing the other two boys behind him as he invites Hyungwon in. "Sorry about them, they're my little brothers, Minjae and Minjun."

"We're twins!" one of them – Hyungwon can't tell which one even though Jooheon just pointed them out – shouts.

"Hi," Hyungwon says after a moment, giving them a small wave, but they're already bounding further into the house.

--

Dinner is strange. Jooheon's mother and father are at the table, and so are his little brothers. Including Hyungwon, that makes six people, which feels like a lot to him. Jooheon's mother fills a plate for him and tells him to eat everything and feel free to ask for seconds, and his father asks Hyungwon about his family.

Hyungwon tells them that it's just him, Mother, and Father, and he blushes and looks down when he speaks of Father. He doesn't say any more than that because he knows there are secrets he's not supposed to tell. Luckily for him, Minjae and Minjun have a lot to talk about, so dinner passes quickly.

--

When he goes home that night, he tells Father all about it. He thinks that Father will be happy for him that he's made a friend, but Father's reaction surprises him. Father seems angry or maybe jealous. He makes Hyungwon tell him that Jooheon will never replace Father, and he makes Hyungwon promise that he'll never touch Jooheon or let Jooheon touch him. Hyungwon promises all of these things, but Father still isn't satisfied.

He reminds Hyungwon that he can't ever tell anyone their secret, and that even if Hyungwon did tell someone, no one would ever believe him.

Hyungwon is scared. Father has never said these kinds of things to him before. He feels almost threatened. He expects Father to apologize as normal and tell Hyungwon that he's only saying these things because cares about him, but Father remains angry and harsh that night.

Hyungwonstays home from school the next day.