Chapter Thirty Seven

Someone is sitting in the
shade of a tree today because
someone planted a tree
a long time ago
-
Warren Buffet

__________________

All my girls are sitting around the dining table, having brunch

All my girls are sitting around the dining table, having brunch. Maggie is cooking, the old woman who's Daniel's chef and she's the same woman who loves Annabelle and hates me. I really didn't want her here but Daniel insisted that she's a great maid.

The boys are scattered all over the living room, watching games and I swear my eyes keep drifting towards the TV even in between the gossips. It's Monday today which means Thursday is New Year's Eve so we're planning our New Year's Eve party.

"I love skating," Angel says, explaining how much she liked our Christmas Eve activities. We did go for skating and that was amazing but I suck at it. Just like cooking.

I take a bite from the chocolate cookie that Maggie baked. It's tastes amazing, so me and Gracie can't stop eating them. "I want to go to Bali for my vacation," Hope says, taking a bite from her coconut cookie.

"You have a vacation only for a week." I have to clear my throat, which is getting scratchy like there's air freshener that's annoying it or something.

"I've wanted to go to Thailand since I was seven years old. It's like, dream vacation. And Adam knows it." Phoenix pauses and frowns. "At least, he better know it."

"I know nothing," Cassy says.

Leila nods. "Same. Ryan's oblivious, and even if he wasn't, he wouldn't talk about it at home. Anyway, gossip and Ryan go together and I really don't understand why."

My gut grumbles, and something sour twists halfway between my mouth and my belly, and my lips are starting to itch. "Is it warm in here?"

"No, it's—ohmygod, Allison," Hope snaps, rising to her feet and moving towards me.

I wiggle my nose, eyes both watering and going round at the same time.

I know what this is.

I know exactly what this is.

I look down at the chocolate cookie that is placed in front of me. Jesus Christ!

"Are you okay?" Cassy asks.

"Okay? Honey, she needs a doctor." Hope grabs my hand and lifts it so we can all see the flush spreading my skin. "Are you allergic to-oh, no. Daniel," she call out.

"Maggie," Leila calls as she darts away.

Cassy grabs my plate and eats the cookie. "Ally, did you have it?"

"Jus a li'l," I slur.

Mostly because my tongue is tingling and won't work right either.