Chapter Seven Day Three

Clara

Another evening of nightmares plagued me and I groan as I make myself get out of bed. My muscles are sore from lifting bales of hay, as well as my pride. Scrubbing my face, I wish I hadn't ruined a good day by kissing Tristan. I dress quickly and head outside to feed the animals when I halt suddenly. Mr. Black is indeed back. Tristan is in slacks that hug his fit ass, an ass most flat assed men wished they had, along with a dress shirt pressed to impress. His jacket hangs on the chair beside him, along with his tie. Mr. Black is ready to take a walk around the town to get ideas for his book, but I just rolled my sorry ass out of bed and hope I can find clean clothes somewhere. Somehow, I haven't found time to do laundry since he's arrived.

Tristan wordlessly hands me a mug of coffee and as I open my mouth he says, "two creams and two sugars." How did he know how I liked my coffee? He must have been paying attention when we would meet at restaurants and cafes to go over his work. I inhale the mug in my hands and sigh with pleasure. When was the last time someone made me a coffee and cared what was in it? Eve and James cared, I know, but it wasn't the same thing; we were friends and had known each other practically forever so knowledge like how I liked my coffee or whether I liked pancakes was just common knowledge. It was something we just knew about one another. To care enough to pay attention and seek out what the other liked was something foreign to me since everyone around in my life involves those I've known since childhood. God, I sound pathetic, even to myself.

I clear my throat as I ask, "So, um, Tristan where did you want to go first?" I go to take a few pancakes off of a plate when he pulls some out of the microwave and hands me a warm plate and maple syrup. "I wanted to check out the library, church, bar maybe?"

Soaking my pancakes in maple syrup, the real stuff I tapped from the trees myself, I begin to eat. I hum with pleasure at the fluffiness of the pancakes and nod. "We can visit all of these places but we aren't allowed in any of them with the quarantine. All public places are closed until further notice except the grocery and corner stores, but we could take a look at the other spots and around town." Glad that we both are pretending that last night never happened, I continue, "Maybe I could ask Eve's parents for the keys to the church and just go inside for a quick visit if it's just us." 

"Eve's parents?" Tristan asks. "They have keys to a church?"

I polish off the rest of my plate and head to the sink to rinse it off to wash later. "Yep, they maintain it and are in charge of renting it out and all that. I just need to feed my animals real quick and we'll go. You can grab my keys and meet me when you're ready." The exploration of the small town of Stanbridge shouldn't take too long, but my farm animals were used to a routine and would be anxious if I didn't feed them.

"Clara, we're going to have to talk about it eventually." Tristan's voice is soft but I hear his words anyway, pausing at the screen door, before heading out.

As we drive into town I wave at walkers strolling down Maple Street, some wearing masks, while others don't. I have never seen so many people walking since we've been under quarantine. It's an interesting sight to see as I park at the municipal town hall, preparing to walk through the town with Tristan. As I get out of the car, I see Eve's mom gardening in the flower beds around the town hall, a sight that's not uncommon, since she's quite involved with the town.

"Clara, dear," Mrs. Dion stands from her gardening cushion, brushing her impeccable slacks, and is looking perfect as usual, with her hair done just so and makeup on, but in a way that looks natural. I'll never know how she can remain pristine working in this heat, but she does. She normally goes to kiss me on both cheeks but stops herself and raises her hand. "Sorry dear, I am so used to greeting with a kiss. I guess that's on hold for a while now isn't it?" Mrs. Dion smiles wide as Tristan comes to my side and looks to me for an introduction.