Chapter 6

His wet hair still flopped around as he rushed towards his car. Each different curl and strand framing his face in their own way. He had considered dropping Jenner off at his fathers, but the trek to his house was too far, not when he needed to get to her quickly. He wasn't sleepless but this was the first time Ethan had felt this amount of onset emotions in a long time. So as much as he would deny it, he was tired. This tiredness didn't stop him though, it somewhat pushed him to get to her quicker because the sooner he got to her, the sooner he could fall asleep in her quietcomfort.

Edenbrook wasn't a far trip, he had made sure that when he purchased his apartment that it was close to the hospital. That way if an emergency ever rose, he would be there in a matter of minutes. This particular car ride seemed to drag on, no matter how close he got to her, he was always out of arm's reach. The thought of simply parking his car and running to her was becoming prominent and nagging. Like that little voice that would always say 'what if'. 'What if running was quicker', 'what if running made her wake up', 'what if running will help you Ethan'. Still he had some sense of right and wrong, and knew as soon as he got there he could run to her.

Ethan's shift had ended hours ago when Naveen forced him home. Mostly everyone knew about the early leave for the attending but didn't question why. Sarah was simply sitting at the nurses station filling out paperwork when a very needy doctor Ramsey approached her. "Sarah, do you know where Tiffany is?" Ethan's voice was shallow, filled with worry.

"You mean Dr. Lorelli, right? Well she's on the second floor ICU, room 251." Sarah's voice almost mocking him for being so worried, yet being gentle as she knew right now they were both fragile.

"Thank you," he rushed the words out of his mouth as he ran towards the closest elevator, as he ran towards her. His pace was quick as at this point, his pace had always been quick, but now he knew where she was, how far away exactly he was. Until he was there, at her door, at her.