Chapter Nine

I suggest you listen to the truth untold by bts during the last part of the chapter

And I've just realized that this song fits the whole book perfectly so it's officially become its theme

Read the lyrics of the truth untold, they're so beautiful

His mother was back on his tail as soon as they walked back inside which meant that she's probably noticed their absence. Good thing that Namjoon and Yoongi had their empty champagne glasses between their fingers while Jimin carried a bottle they've taken from the tray outside. The other has dumped its contents in the garden because now, with two giggling men and a whole bottle of strong alcohol emptied, their absence seemed more reasonable.

Taehyung wasn't sure if they'd be able to fool his incredibly intelligent mother but it was worth a try.

"Taehyung," she said as soon as she was in front of them all, her Shadow looking at them with a bored gaze. "Where have you all been?"

Jimin didn't seem to care about manners and certain rules because, even if the question was directed towards the Prince, the King of Shadows was the one that answered it. "Prince Taehyung's been kind enough to help me with his cousin. Unfortunately, he's had too much to drink."

His mother's brows flinched but she still kept a smile on her face and Taehyung could tell from her expression that she was already annoyed at the other. Jimin wasn't smiling at all and Taehyung realized that the other wasn't trying to play nice. He was openly showing her how much he despised her even if Taehyung didn't know the reason of his hatred yet.

"I'm sure you'll take good care of him. Now, I have to talk to my son. Privately."

Taehyung didn't want to talk to her because now, every time he looked at his own mother, all he could see was a liar. He was trying to keep himself from screaming at her but with each passing second it was getting harder and harder to do that.

"Prince Taehyung must be tired. His Shadow will take him to his room."

Jimin surely had a death wish.

"Excuse me, mother, but I am indeed tired." He finally said, watching as her eyes moved towards him.

She smiled softly and Taehyung couldn't pinpoint if her smile was a lie as well or not. "Make sure you rest, dear."

Nodding, Taehyung walked past her, feeling her eyes follow him even after he disappeared behind the large doors. The music fades as he walked through the castle but, at one point, as he was climbing the stairs towards his room, Taehyung stopped and cried. He cried because he felt betrayed by his own mother. He cried because he didn't know what to think of her actions, of her lies, but most importantly, he cried because he missed his father and it hurt so much to know that it could've been his mother's fault he was gone.

As he leaned on the wall, Taehyung felt a hand circle around his waist, taking him by surprise. His throat hurt and his eyes stung as he turned around to stare at his Shadow. He was close, closer than he's ever been, and Taehyung found himself crying even harder because there was too much happening around him.

His Shadow bent down, putting one arm under his knees, then pressed his body to his chest as he started climbing the stairs himself. Taehyung simply buried his head into the other's shoulder, hating the stupid mask at that moment the most. Once they got to his room, his Shadow sat him down, stepping behind him and untying his mask.

"I hate this stupid mask." Taehyung said once it was off his face, turning around and taking it from his Shadow only to slam it against the wall. He was so angry, angry at his mother for hiding him away, for lying to him.