𝐒𝐈𝐗, reunited under bitter circumstances

ANTHEM OF THE ANGELS
act one, chapter six
❛zero chances, no way out
no solutions, give in now❜
•°•☽•☾•°•

✦ 𝙅AMES ✦
━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

           𝙅ames Potter wasn't an idiot, even though some believed that he was. He was an intelligent being, really. That's how he knew something bigger was bothering Penelope Carrow, not just her betrothal to Rosier, no, something bigger, something she didn't even trust Remus with. James cared for Penelope a lot, it's his best mate's girlfriend, how could he not care about her? That's how James found himself in front of the Ravenclaw Tower door, raking his brain for an answer to the riddle he'd been asked. Now, James was an intelligent being, yes, but he drew the line at riddles and smart questions. Those stuff are for Ravenclaws and he was anything but a Ravenclaw.

"Er—round?" James asked, hoping by some miracle that it would just swing open and he'd be in, smiling victoriously. Unfortunately, James found himself locked out for two hours before Penelope showed up, Lily at her heels. James had sprung up, grinning at them, breath momentarily leaving his lungs when he saw the beautiful redhead. "Penny! Ah, Evans, you're here too!"

Lily's face morphed into something James couldn't explain. "Potter, what are you doing here?"

Just for once in his lifetime, James decided to ignore Lily, it hurt like hell, really, it did but just this once. He needed to help Penelope, he couldn't let his friend drown in whatever problem she's facing. She needed to know that they can be stronger together. "Sorry Evans, not here for you." He flashed her a grin when she blinked, not being able to believe it. "Penny, you have to tell me what's wrong...."

Lily could sense that the conversation wasn't going to be about her so she patted Penelope on the shoulder, muttering what sounded like a good luck to her and walked off.

"I can't James—"

"Do you know how I know that it's really bothering you? That's it's not just the whole Rosier thing?" James asked, pushing his glasses up. "It's because you call me James, Penny, not Potter or an ignorant toe-rag."

"I can't tell you what's wrong James, Remus will hate you, he'll kill you." Penelope sighed.

"Then so be it! I just want to help a friend! Will he kill me for helping out his girlfriend? You need help Pen—"

"He won't kill you because you helped me James!" Penelope suddenly yelled out, and for the first time since James knew Penelope Carrow, her eyes glossed over. She was crying.

"Then why Penny? Make me understand, please." James pleaded.

"He'll kill you because you stole the heart of the one person he loves the most!" Penelope sighed. "There! I've said it James."

"Moony doesn't love Lily in that—" Then it hit James, like a train and goosebumps trailed up his arm and down his legs. It was now he realized the sudden smiles, the sudden name change, the sudden friendliness, the sudden blushes, it all made sense now. "Since when Penny?" James asked, jaw tensed as he stared into Penelope's glossy blue eyes.

"A long time ago but I've managed to hide it but I can't hide it anymore this year—"

James shook his head, heart slightly breaking because he knew once upon a time, he had actually really liked Penelope in that way but Remus had swooped her away from him and thus began his daily routine of declaring his undying love for Lily Evans. "You have to Penny, for Moony."