Chapter 53

Waiting to find out who the winners are.

Clark and I finished our report and turned it in early. We focused on the fact that it was written through a little kids point of view and how it must've looked to her.

"Would you stop pacing? Jeez, now you're making me even more nervous," Clark says.

I sit down and start to fiddle with my fingers. Clark places his hand over mine. "It'll be okay."

I nod nervously and he pulls me into his side.

All around the gym seniors are waiting for the results. Some are pacing, most are just chilling on the benches.

"Okay then, let's talk about something."

"Like what?" Clark asks as I grow nervous.

"Us."

Clark sits up straighter on the bench and looks at me seriously. "What about us?"

I take a deep breath and start fiddling with my hands. "You and I both have been out on a lot of dates, and dating is a big thing. You're trusting someone to not break your heart-"

"I'm not going to-" Clark interrupts.

I hold up my hand and he quiets.

"I really like you Clark, and I don't just want this to be a fling. If you're really serious about me, then we'll make it work. I want you to know that I will be here for you, thick and thin."

Clark leans forward and kisses me hard on the lips. "Cara, this is anything but a fling. I want to stay with you until senior year is over, and even after that if you'll let me! I'll stick by your side—except when you go to the bathroom, personal space and stuff—but besides that, I'll always be here for you. Always."

I smile and hug Clark.

He squeezes me back then picks me up bridal style, and takes me down to the gym floor.

A ton of heads turn to us as Clair gets down on one knee.

My breath catches in my throat and tears spring to my eyes.

"Cara," he says, taking ahold of my hand, "I've liked you ever since we called a truce. We may have had our ups and downs, but after all that, I still wanted you. Will you do the tremendous honor of going to the winter dance with me?"

I nod yes and he stands up and swings me around.

"I love you," he whispers in my ear.

My heart stops and I kiss his cheek.

He looks me in the eyes and smiles, knowing what I mean.

"Attention students," the intercom booms, "the winners for the Jenna Jones books scholarship have be decided. In third place we have Caleb and Nicki. In best all around we have Cali and Sam. Second place we have Jeremiah and Madeline, and in first place we have....Cara Morgan and Clark Thompson!"

Cheers break out around the gym and I jump up and down with excitement. My heart soars as Clark spins me around. "We did it!" He cries.

"We sure did," I say, pressing a kiss to his lips.
                                      ¥