Unmasked

Dream stood, staring in utter shock.

Nobody said a word, not that anything needed to be said. Expressions can say a million words without a whisper ever coming out.

Dream was a mix of emotions, anger, definitely anger, but also horror that wasn't directed towards anyone but himself. He didn't like people seeing his face, knowing what was under the simplistic mask.

Dream had prided himself in being somewhat unpredictable, his voice hardly revealed anything so his face being hidden was the perfect match. But not only was his safe veil of security stripped, but also was the mask of his emotions.

He didn't like to look vulnerable.

Dream hated the thought of being easily summed up, for a person to truly know him just by glancing at him, that was something he'd never let anyone do.

Yet here he was, in a position he never had wanted to get into.

What had sparked the hatred for anyone seeing behind his mask wasn't complex, it simply was because Dream himself didn't like what was underneath.

Not just underneath mentally, where his emotions could be read like a book, picked through and tossed aside. No, it was also physically.

He had eyes far too green to be normal, but those were just his eyes, something minor on the surface but with the added weight of everything else truly made an overall distaste.

Dream hated the flowers that were gathered under his eyes like eye bags. Slick black petals, essentially the essence of his plant abilities. Since he used the petals to bring plants truly to life and to control them.

He knew that this ability was something special, only to be used by him. Or at least he hoped. The idea of someone plucking one of his petal's and doing the same as him brought shivers through his spine.

Dream didn't like the idea of people knowing about that. But even that problem could've been solved with a simple explanation to someone, a lot of his problems could've been solved that way before they got worse.

Dream wished his mask had never been flung off, he'd rather just be seen as unpredictable, he'd even rather be assumed to be a murderer by Sapnap.

Because at the end of the day, none of that was true, so it'd never really hurt him.

But seeing what he really was would hurt. At heart, he was a untrustworthy liar. The only person he confided in was a literal ghost. Constant excuses, cover ups, and deceit would never hide what he truly was in the end. And Dream had always been a terrible friend. And that hurt. He wished he could've been a better friend to George, talking to him rather than deciding to keep everything to his self. He even wished he could've been a better friend to Sapnap, maybe if he hadn't used terrible excuses to cover up his investigating with Skeppy and if he told Sapnap about his plant abilities, Sapnap would probably think of him as someone who wouldn't commit murder.

The only person he felt he had been okay to was Badboyhalo, and he had only seen Badboyhalo for one day!

And then there was Skeppy. Dream wanted to blame Skeppy for the situation he was in, after all, Skeppy did suggest for him to confront Sapnap. But shoving the blame onto Skeppy would only prove how much a terrible friend Dream was. And Dream had already proved that enough, disregarding Skeppy's reasoning behind not keeping that stupid book.

Dream knew that the person at fault here was obvious. There really was no one else to blame but himself. And that felt like another injury to add to his pile of pain.

The only thing he'd done being at this facility was be a terrible person. And where would it have stopped? What would he have done if Sapnap didn't take the confrontation too far? Would he have just continued the deceit as long as possible? Would he have just continued being awful to everyone around him.

Sure, being unpredictable was great to a degree, Dream didn't like people seeing his true expressions or feelings, being closed off wasn't always bad.

But there was a fine line between what he had been aiming for, being closed off and keeping his own privacy, and what he had ended up doing, being secretive and deceitful.

And he had crossed that line by miles.

Dream snapped back into reality, too shaken up to realize how lost in thought he had been. His anger faded, replaced with gut wrenching guilt. Dream still felt angry, a bit livid. But the overwhelming feeling of guilt was weighing him down.

Small tears formed near his eyes. Immediately Dream furiously rubbed them away, ruffling the petals under his eyes.

Dream looked up at Sapnap and George, both looked shocked but Sapnap also had something else in his gaze. Satisfaction? Guilt? Dream couldn't tell.

Dream narrowed his eyes, snatching his mask that had been laid on the floor.

He whisked around, his hands fumbling as he quickly put his mask back on. Dream excepted to feel relief or security, but the dread still hanged in his stomach.

Dream decided to go back to the gym.

Every few steps he double checked to make sure his mask was back on, it seemed silly but the worry didn't go away.

He walked into the gym, glancing around. There was a few people lingering but no one was sitting on the bleachers that were up against one of the walls.

Dream sat on one of them, his back arching. He looked at the ground, unsure of what to do next. He definitely needed time to talk to Skeppy.

"Hey!" A bubbly voice echoed from surprisingly close by. He looked up, excepting George or Skeppy. It was neither.

To his right he could see two strangers, one of them that greeted him was waving. They both sat at the end of the bleachers, probably just had sat down.

Dream hesitated and awkwardly didn't respond.

The one that had spoke to him, presumably a girl, slid next to him, also dragging the other person along.

"Hey! My name's CaptainPuffy, your's?" The stranger repeated their greeting, along with adding their name.

"Dream" He spoke, sorta mumbling it.

"That's cool. This is Karl!" CaptainPuffy gestured to the other person she'd dragged along.

"Hi" Karl greeted him.

A small moment of silence commenced.

"So, whatcha doin in the gym of all places during free time?" CaptainPuffy kickstarted the conversation.

Dream really didn't feel like delving into that.

"Well, I had nothing better to do" Dream responded, chuckling a bit. That was at least true, even without the rest of the context.

"I'd say the gym's quite boring though, Me and Karl are going to the library- care to join us?" CaptainPuffy asked.

Dream could feel his shoulder's tense a little, he hadn't been in the library since Badboyhalo disappeared. He could feel his necklace with the miniature book that hung from it started to vibrate a bit. Whether from excitement or fear, he couldn't tell the difference.

"Sure" Dream responded, really glad he didn't have to fake a smile, since they wouldn't be able to see it anyway. Maybe I'll get some answers to what that mysterious book is.

---------------------------------------------------------

Ello! This is technically my first time doing a little announcement thingy at the end of the chapter but I'd like to thank y'all for 1.6k reads! I really love reading the comments left each chapter! Anyway's though, bye! I'll see y'all hopefully next chapter ^^