Prologue: The Journey Beyond

Day 0

~{Location: ???}~

In the stark, white corridor bathed in crimson emergency lights, a man clad in a lab coat sprinted, his footsteps echoing to the blaring sirens. He was a middle-aged man with curly gray hair and a small curly beard. He wore small circular glasses over his hazel-colored eyes expressing intense fear. On his lab coat, there was a name tag that had the man's name, but it was partly smudged, only making out, "Dr. F."

Reaching an intersection, he veered right, leading to a doorway. With a few quick keystrokes on a nearby console, he locked the door behind him, gasping for breath as he leaned against it.

After a moment's respite, Dr. F. surveyed the room before him—an expansive laboratory dominated by towering computer screens, cluttered workstations laden with beakers, and scattered notes strewn about haphazardly. Dominating the center were three massive test tubes.

Within the first tube, a small, pink, bipedal creature lay unconscious, its round, wide-snouted head, short arms adorned with three-fingered paws, and a slender tail ending in an ovoid tip. Adjacent, in the second tube, lay a fair-skinned girl, her cascading brown hair reaching down to her waist, her features eerily still.

Both the girl and the enigmatic pink creature appeared as though in deep slumber.

The third, significantly larger tube, positioned discreetly behind the first two, remained empty—a harbinger of unsettling possibilities.

The frantic man quickly ran up to a computer and started to type on it, with the screen showing it controlled the test tubes. As he finished typing, the liquid in all three containers started to lessen, until they were empty.

Dr. F. ran up to the unconscious girl and covered her in a hospital gown. He picked her up and carried her in his hands.

The pink creature awoke from its unconsciousness and began to look around curiously. It then stood up and started to levitate in the air. It noticed the man, who was quickly typing on another computer while placing the girl on top of a table. The creature flew towards the two and caught the man's attention.

"Mew. Mew..."

Relief washed over Dr. F. as he addressed the creature. "Mew! I'm glad you're okay. Listen, I'm trying to get us all out of here. I just can't handle them using you and my little girl for such extreme experiments!"

Mew responded with a concerned, almost plaintive, coo—a silent testament to its shared distress.

Dr. F. resumed his frantic typing, extracting crucial files onto a portable drive. The monitor displayed real-time footage from security cameras positioned outside the room, showcasing a tumultuous scene of individuals in ominous black attire scurrying about.

Through the computer, he was able to hear what a group of them were saying on one of the screens.

"Where did he go?" inquired one of the figures with palpable urgency.

"We're not sure, sir. We should check the main lab. He must be headed there."

"Then let's move quickly. He's probably already making his escape!"

Dr. F. clenched his fists in frustration. "Dammit! We're running out of time!"

"Mew." the pink creature chirped, its eyes wide with worry.

The sound of pounding on the locked door reverberated through the chamber, accompanied by urgent shouts from the other side.

"We know you're in there! There's no escape!"