ACT 005: LITTLE STAR

LITTLE   STAR
» ᴍ. ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ

ᴛʜᴇᴍᴇ: fluff
ᴘᴀɪʀɪɴɢ: m. twain x l. m. montgomery

.

.

.

тωιикℓє, тωιикℓє ℓιттℓє ѕтαя
нσω ι ωσи∂єя ωнαт уσυ αяє

I wonder what the stars look like up close. Do they have five pointy corners like the ones they show us in school? Or do they look just like plain Christmas lights scattered around the sky? Or maybe they are actually the souls of the kindest people that ever existed. All of it sounds awesome to me. But what if it's none of the above and turned out boring?

"Tom, Huck, let's build a rocket someday and catch some stars. What do you guys think?" I consulted my two floating companions-well, more like my two extra selves disguised as pixies. "Wouldn't that cost millions of dollars," my rational persona, Huck, questioned, making me rethink my life decisions.

"But that's making it more fun, right? We'll have to find ways to make money!" Part of me wants to agree, but there is still something inside me that wants to choose the rational side. It has always been like that. Huck will question the practicality of the idea while Tom will defend it by throwing positive scenarios revolving around the other's suggestions. In the end, we always somehow find the middle ground. That's what makes us perfectly balanced.

The second one of us detected danger of being found out, our minds instantly connected then immediately returned to its original state. "Talking to yourself again?" There she is, the main antagonist of my story.

"What do you want, Lucy? Can't you just leave me alone. I'm in the middle of doing something here."

"What are you doing? Waiting for the sun to go down then go home without us knowing?" I groaned. What have I done to deserve this kind of treatment? Without waiting for me to answer, she rolled her eyes then dragged my by my collar. "Lunch time is over. Your adviser will get mad."

I just huffed and let myself be dragged back to our school building. What a bummer.

υρ αвσνє тнє ωσяℓ∂ ѕσ нιgн
ℓιкє α ∂ιαмσи∂ ιи тнє ѕку

I found out in fifth grade that stars are nothing but gigantic balls of flaming gas. As I feared, it turned out to be boring. I was really expecting something more like a unique ecosystem or some kind of portal into another universe. Boy was I so wrong.

But then, due to my hyperactive imagination, I decided to refuse that fact and find my own version of a 'star'. I searched and searched for a couple of years, not knowing that the answer has always been near me all along, waving all around me.

I sat on a helicopter's pilot seat, keeping the said vehicle steady over the twinkling city in the dark night. The scene before me was mesmerising. It reminded me of the days when I used to run around in the Mississippi riverbanks and admire the wide starry sky above. The company I'm working in had been busy for the past few weeks, giving us missions after missions without letting us take even a day off. The pay was high anyway, so who am I to complain? Oh how I missed the good old days where I can do whatever I want without interruption-wait. Scratch that.

"Earth to Mark. The helicopter is tilting forward, you dumbass." The oh-so familiar voice coming through the earpiece destroyed my peaceful reminiscing. Oh, Lucy, when will you stop being such a villainess?

The rest of the ride was silent except for the constant whirring of the large vehicle's engine. The little journey was great. I almost doesn't want it to ever end.

"Didn't you used to talk on and on about building a rocket to see the stars up-close," was her first statement upon landing atop our headquarters. "You have millions of dollars now. What's with the change of mind?"

She still doesn't get it, huh? I chuckled then poked her forehead. "Why would I still want to do that when an actual star is already in front of me?" Yes, I have found my star and it is in the form of a pointy-haired lady named Lucy.

тωιикℓє, тωιикℓє ℓιттℓє ѕтαя
нσω ι ωσи∂єя ωнαт уσυ αяє

end.

.

.

.

ᴘᴇɴɴᴇᴅ ʙʏ: Mei