ACT 007: SAFE AND SOUND

SAFE   AND   SOUND
» ᴍ. ᴛᴡᴀɪɴ

ᴛʜᴇᴍᴇ: angst; songfic

.

.

.

jυѕт clσѕε чσυя εчεѕ
тнε ѕυи ιѕ gσιиg dσωи

The deafening sound of gunshots and explosions filled the smokey atmosphere. At the middle of the open field, three young adults were engaged in an intense battle using their firing weapons of choice.

"That's my eleventh kill," a certain gingerhead declared rather proudly as he loaded another round of bullets into his smoking sniper. "All headshots." He smirked.

"You sound way too happy about killing people. I'm starting to think that you're a demon in your past life," another masculine voice said, chuckling at the end as another round of continuous firing from his machine gun rattled the small muddy trench.

"Shut up, ladies. Just focus on the task. The enemies are closing in while you're having your chitchat." It was a female's voice who spoke this time, her voice laced with firmess and finality, quickly silencing the duo.

They didn't signed up for this. Nobody did, but here they were, killing soldiers after soldiers in a foreign land in the middle of nowhere with no rations left to sustain their survival. It was hell. Lifeless bodies of formerly confident and patriotic men in uniform littered the area around them, some even catching fire from nearby burning establishments.

Suddenly, the trio were alarmed when their comrades from another trench located at their far right started flailing their arms around, as if telling them to watch out for something. The thing is, their shouts were incomprehensible and their gestures didn't revealed any information regarding their so-called warning. It was a couple of seconds too late when one of them realized what they meant.

"Run!" There was a sound of a grenade going off before a long ring filled their sense of hearing.

чσυ'll вε αlяιgнт
иσ σиε cαи нυят чσυ иσω

He opened his eyes to a blurred surroundings with the continuous ringing still bombarding his auditory system. Everything felt heavy. It's as if he was burried under piles of gigantic rocks for an extended period of time. Two unrecognizable silhouettes hovered above him. They seemed to be shouting, but his senses still couldn't quite register what they're talking about.

"-er me? -rk! lo- -t me!" It took some time, but his brain slowly adjusted to the situation. The first thing that he recognized was the silence of the place, except for the constant calling of his two companions. It was as if he was teleported to another place, the former shouting and firing reduced to a mere whisper. Nothing's on fire anymore, formerly burning corpses and establishments were reduced to coal-black ashes. It only meant one thing: the battle was over.

The sniper groaned. "I can hear you, so shut the hell up. You're making my headache worse." His statement silenced the two, but it also made them worried at the same time. Ah, yes. A headache.

He raised his dominant hand to touch his forehead. He got an idea about his current condition when he felt bandages already tightly wrapped around his upper part. Aside from that, the rest of his body seemed well.

It was silent for a moment. It's just the three of them huddled together in the center of a vast wasteland, constantly checking each other every now and then. It's been so long since they last experienced 'peace', so they made the most out of it.

"We used to run around my father's farm as kids," the gingerhead started. "He used to beat the shit out of me for ruining his crops, but I did it again and again, then he just got tired of me, so he let me be." His little hearty laugh sent smiles creeping up on his companions' faces on either side of him.

His fellow male soldier chuckled. "Remember 'Sunday School'? You were often asked to read whole bible chapters in front of everyone as punishment for escaping. I'm surprised you haven't memorized it yet." "You're exaggerating! It only happened for a few times!" "Whatever. It's still hilarious."

The only female in the small group sighed. "What good times. I wish we remain as children forever." Silence reigned the area once again before a yawn escaped the lips of the person at the center.

"I'm sleepy."

"Then sleep. We'll do the guarding duty."

The sniper smiled. "Thanks for always backing me up, Nathan, Margo. I owe my life to you."

"Rest now, Mark. The sun will shine upon us again."

cσмε мσяиιиg lιgнт
чσυ αиd ι'll вε ѕαƒε αиd ѕσυиd

.

.

.

ᴘᴇɴɴᴇᴅ ʙʏ: Mei