Chapter 5

"Well, Bruce, this was a little unexpected, but what can I do for you?"

  "I have information that I need to share with you," Bruce told the Kryptonian man.

"And you couldn't have asked me in a JLA meeting?" Clark asked.

   "No. As of right now, and considering the circumstances, you're the only one I trust with this information right now."

"Alright then. What is it?"

Bruce hesitated. "You know how you were told you couldn't procreate with a human because it wouldn't be possible?"

   Clark frowned a little. He didn't really like to be reminded of that. "Yes."

Bruce continued. "Do you think that goes for all aliens?"

  Clark paused for a moment, thinking this over. "I would say so. Why?"

  "Well, I've found proof that that does not apply for a certain alien species."

"What do you mean by 'proof', Bruce?"

   "What if I told you... a certain Tamaranean woman we know has a child that is half-human?"

Clark's mouth fell open in shock. "Starfire?"

   Bruce nodded. "Yes. She has a half-human daughter. Damian found her crash-landed in Gotham while on patrol."

"Who's the father?" Clark asked.

  "According to the tests I've ran, Dick." Bruce replied. "He had no idea she even existed until a few days ago. In fact, he didn't find out the girl was his until last night."

The man of steel looked utterly dumbstruck. "How... how is that genetically possible?"

  "I was hoping you might have the answer for me." Bruce admitted.

"What, because I'm an alien?" Clark replied, irritated.

   The billionaire shrugged, unapologetically. "If you don't know, then you don't know. But that wasn't the only reason I came to you about this, Clark."

"What was the other reason, then?"

"Starfire wasn't with the girl when she crashed. She says she was kidnapped from Tamaran a year ago and hasn't been back since. She finally escaped. We've tried to contact Starfire, but have had no luck. Something doesn't seem right about it. I was hoping that you could go to Tamaran and find Starfire." Bruce said.

  The Kryptonian thought this over for a moment. "Alright. I'll do it."

******

   Damian knocked on Mar'i's door and she promptly opened it.

"Yes?"

  "Mar'i, we've uh..." Damian cleared his throat. "We've found your father.

Her emerald orbs widened. "You have? Oh, X'hal! That's wonderful! Who is he?" She exclaimed.

  "Well, he's, um... you remember Dick Grayson, don't you?"

Slightly confused, Mar'i nodded. "Yes, you told me he knew my mother. Oh! He helped find my father, didn't he? I must remember to thank him."

  "No, Mar'i." Damian paused, struggling to find a way to tell her. "Dick... is your father," Damian told her.

Her elated expression faded and was replaced by a puzzled one. "Oh. I see..."

   "He didn't know until last night."

"Where is he now?" She asked.

Damian sighed. "I don't know. Back in Blüdhaven, I suppose. He was rather... shocked by the news, to say the least."

Mar'i looked down at her feet. "I assume he does not want me?"

  "No, it's not like that... well, I guess I really can't tell you that, I cannot speak for Grayson. But regardless, he will take care of you until we gain contact with your mother."

"So I won't be staying here anymore?"

  "No, I'm afraid not."

Mar'i frowned. "That's too bad, I'm going to miss you all."

  A rare, tiny smile tugged at Damian's lips. "You're always welcome to visit, you know..."

Mar'i smiled at him. "Good to know. So, do you know when he is coming back?"

  "Grayson? No, I don't. But it should be soon."

Mar'i nodded. "Well, thank you for sharing this information with me, Damian." She gave a small smile and returned to her room.

Once the door was shut, she leaned against it and sighed. Another strange new place to go. And with a man that was, apparently, her father. Her father. And he never even knew about her.

Though it relieved her to know that her father had been found, all Mar'i really wanted was to be in the warm embrace of her mother once more.