Charla

Earlier, 12:37 PM
The Lodge

I was shocked by the news. Meg was one of the Gas Giants, one of Maddie's copycats, her body doubles. I never really got to talk to her, but the thought of a classmate getting murdered made me feel empty and gloomy. It was mostly the thought of an assassin somewhere at the ski resort that was unsettling to all of us.

I try to focus on other things. I glance at the large windows that look over the hill. It was still snowing a little outside, tall coniferous trees covered in white marking the borders of each slope. I could not bear the thought that the breathtaking view was where the murder took place. I look away and my eyes dart around the room. My classmates are talking. I hear whispers, gasps and crying.  My eyes land on Madison.

Since the last couple of months, I noticed Maddie taking interest in Juan. It's obvious she likes him. Her eyes always wander to his messy dark hair and impenetrable eyes. I don't think Juan notices, and I'm kind of glad he doesn't. Maddie has the capacity to change his friendly personality and turn him into someone obnoxious, and I didn't want to have to deal with that. Anyway, they're probably not going to end up together. Their personalities were definitely incompatible. Thank goodness for that.

Maddie catches me observing her and stands up. I shiver as she meets my gaze. Suddenly, she stands up. She's walking toward me. I stupidly reach for my phone and pretend I'm in a deep conversation with someone. She sees right through my move and rips the device out of my hand. I stutter as she notices it's turned off.

"Ma-maddie, please..." I reach for my phone, but it's hopeless. She's glaring at me with a gaze colder than the weather outside, her blue eyes full of hatred.

"You!" She slams her fist on the table. I wince as she points at me. "You're the killer!" Her tone is shrill and every word hits me like shards of ice.

I back off. "You- you can't accuse me of murder if you don't have evidence."

"You were the last one here who saw Meg. Juan spotted you going on the lift with her, just hours before we had to come back."

"We just agreed we'd both go down Polaris Peak together," I stated. "That's not a clear accusation, it's pure coincidence."

Maddie doesn't listen. "You killed her! You shot her dead!" She pauses for a second. "I knew there was something off with you from the start!"

"How could I have a rifle on me? Meg would have noticed."

Again, I get ignored."You freak," Maddie sneers. "I'll kill you Charla, just you wait."

She walks away just as the teachers and chaperones ask us to go back to the cabin and get some rest.

I will not sleep. Who knows what wicked things Maddie can do.

Worse, she wants me dead for no valid reason.