Unexpected Trip

The shift leader told me that I have to pick up a baby from another hospital and admit to our unit. She said I can bring Bang with me. So I will be alone with her throughout the ride. Totally unexpected pero mabilis lang naman yun most likely.

Our shift leader briefed us and we already asked everything we need to know. She just reviewed everything with us. The ambulance ride went smoothly and when we arrived there this girl never ceases to amaze me. Siya yung nag-aasikaso ng transport incubator while I'm doing all the talking with the doctors and nurses.

There's just this one moment though that I had to reach from behind her para makabit agad yung baby sa monitor. I could smell her hair it's super nice, unintentionally nagkadikit tuloy katawan namin.

The other hospital's doctor, one of their staff and the father tagged along on our way back. All the seats were filled so I had to ask her just to sit right next to me. Suddenly the ambulance halted and I had no choice but to grab her in the waist to keep her from falling.

"Sorry Bang I had to." I don't know why I have to apologize for a life saving action but I guess I didn't want to make her feel awkward, completely forgetting that there are other people around us.

"Ma'am Bea ok lang thank you." Then she proceeded to fix herself and we arrived at the hospital and shifted the baby to the unit.

It was a very busy night tending to a newly admitted baby on a mechanical ventilator with so many things to carry out. But I'm glad the baby was making progress which is a good thing.

I was working on my notes when someone tapped my shoulder. "Ma'am Bea gutom na ko di pa tayo kumakain dahil nagrush tayo macooling si baby. Tara na."

I looked up to her beaming with a smile I swear that is one thing about her that never gets old but surely endearing. I heard my tummy growled. "Oops I almost forgot." She chuckled along with me.

"Gawd I can't believe we are eating our dinner at 3 am breakfast na din to." I blurted out.

"Napapanood ko yan kay Nurse Even. Yung bawal magnegative balance ang pasyente pero kamusta naman ang I and O ng nurse. Mga babies nga natin may hourly feeds pa. Pag busy pa ang nurse sa bahay na kakain."

"Yan yung reality sating mga nurses e you have to be really passionate about your work to last. It is mostly putting others ahead of yourself. There are so many things we are doing that lay people will never understand or appreciate but would not even hesitate to criticize the moment a chance presents itself." I replied back and she nodded.

"You are a great nurse Bang just thought you should know."

AN: This is a special chapter for me. I dedicate this to all my fellow nurses, you guys rock even more in this trying time.