Chapter Two

Theodore was struggling to keep his thoughts to himself.

Normally such a thing was easy, especially when he was having dinner with Blaise Zabini and Draco Malfoy. Blaise loved to hear himself talk and could easily hold an entire conversation by himself, with Draco adding in his sarcastic comments. He was usually content to listen as Blaise elaborately described his latest conquest or wild tale, wondering quite often how his friend was still alive.

But today, Theodore wanted nothing more than to talk.

The weight of his appointment with Hermione sat heavy in his mouth, begging him to tell his friends what he had found. Someone could cover their dark marks; such a thing was unheard of and utterly life-changing. Unfortunately, that person was one Hermione Granger - known Gryffindor Golden Girl and sworn nemesis to everyone wearing green and silver. Blaise had never seemed to care either way about her; he had been too caught up in his plans to shag every girl of passable attraction at Hogwarts. But Draco?

Draco had hated Hermione with a passion.

A passion that Theodore had always wondered about. He would never say such a thing out loud, but he had always thought Draco's hatred had stemmed from a jealousy and respect for an enemy of equal intellect and skill. Such praise would never have been voiced, but he had seen it in the looks Draco gave her when she would say something especially clever or cast a spell particularly well.

Whether or not such begrudging respect existed, neither man would probably believe him if he told them about his recent visit. And if they did believe him, he could scarcely imagine the tantrums they would throw.

"Oi, Theo, are you even listening?"

He glanced up at Blaise who was looking rather indignant.

"Sorry, mate, I was lost in thought."

"When are you not?" Draco asked rhetorically.

Theo gave him a wholly unimpressed look. "It's not as if you two ever talk about anything truly important."

Blaise gave an indignant shout. "How can you say that? Everything I talk about is important! And I was just getting to the good part."

"I'm fairly certain I could miss at least half of your stories and still be certain of the fact that you are most likely the easiest man in Wizarding Britain."

"I prefer 'Most Amorous Wizard', thank you very much," Blaise retorted loftily.

Draco raised his drink to toast Blaise's new title. "Only you could find an elegant way to call yourself a man-whore."

"Thank you?"

Theo rolled his eyes. "Forgive me for ignoring you, Blaise. I hadn't realized you held such a lofty position in the eyes of women. Please, do continue."

Blaise gave him a cocky grin. "I will, thank you."

Draco flagged down the waitress, already knowing he would need another drink if he had to listen to Blaise's stories a second time.

"Well you remember that witch I took home last week? The one with the loveliest pair of —"

"Blue eyes?"

Blaise glared at Theo. "Sure, the blue eyes. Well last night," he drawled with a conspiratorial grin. "I picked up a witch at the bar who was all too eager to come home with me. Thankfully, I convinced her we should go back to her place."

"Because if they knew where you lived, one of them would have absolutely murdered you by now." Draco gave him a look daring him to disagree.

"It's just a bit of bachelor wisdom," Blaise said trying to defend himself. "You never bring a bird back to your place before at least the third date."