Chapter Seven

Harry Potter had never thought he would find himself in a tattoo shop, and one run by Hermione Granger no less.

The space was neat and tidy, as would be expected, and had a cheery atmosphere. Decorated with warm colors, potted plants, framed artwork, and cozy seating created an open and welcoming shop that had 'Hermione' written all over it.

He was inspecting a particularly wonderful watercolor painting of a hummingbird when he heard a door in the rear of the shop open and then shut.

"Harry," Hermione called out happily. She wrapped him in a warm hug that felt far too short. "How have you been?"

"I've been well, you?"

She shrugged but still smiled. "As well as I can be. The shop has been busy, but I'm thankful for that."

Harry looked distracted as he nodded.

She knew that look. It was the expression he wore when he was troubled by something or completely immersed in his own thoughts.

"Is everything alright?"

"I came to talk to you about Rita Skeeter."

Hermione's eyebrows rose in surprise. "Are you here in an official capacity?"

"No, I'm not." He rubbed the back of his neck and frowned. "I'm here as a friend. I really should have come by sooner, but Ginny said you had a handle on things. You always have a handle on things, so I didn't think you would need my help or anything."

"It's alright, Harry." She lay a comforting hand on his shoulder and smiled. "I know you have your hands full with the Auror Department, and I appreciate you coming by to check on me."

"And you're alright?" His eyes were full of sincerity and concern.

"Very much so. Rita Skeeter is reaping her consequences, and her victims were given the voice they deserve."

He gave her a lopsided smile and said, "I was proud of you when I saw that first article. I knew you wouldn't let her get away with printing her lies again."

Hermione thought back to their years in school and frowned. "I should have exposed her sooner."

Harry shook his head firmly. "We can't live with 'should haves' and 'could haves', Hermione. Especially after everything we've..." He cleared his throat. "You helped all those people and exposed the truth. That's better than most."

"How do you always know just what to say?"

His cheeks reddened, and he let out a bashful chuckle. "I had a good friend in school that taught me. She was pretty smart."

Hermione rolled her eyes good-naturedly. "Thank you for coming to check on me, Harry. I appreciate it."

"Well, I also came because I haven't seen your shop yet."

"That's true," she said with a frown. "I meant to invite everyone over for the grand opening, but life sort of got away from me for a bit."

"It happens." Harry looked around the shop and said, "It really is impressive, you know. I always knew you'd run something someday, but I always thought it'd be the Ministry."

Hermione laughed. "I get enough headaches without trying to run our entire world. I am much happier where I am."

"I can tell," he said with a smile. "You seem much happier now than you were."

Regrets bubbled up inside her, but she pushed them down again. "I truly love what I do, Harry. I am very happy here."

He nodded and looked once more at the artwork hanging on her walls. "Do you think I ought to get one?"