Chapter Nine

She struck a fearsome figure with hands on her hips and a spark of anger in her chestnut eyes. It was the first time in a long time Theodore felt nervous to enter her shop. Hermione tapped her foot impatiently, and Theo awkwardly cleared his throat.

"I know I probably should have owled you first, but I knew you would most likely give me that look of yours in the shape of a very eloquent owl."

Hermione's eyebrows creased, and a small frown tugged at her lips.

"Yes, that look. But you told me once that this was a place where anyone could come for help and healing. I'd like to think you really meant anyone. You also told me to invite people I knew so we could grow our client base." He glanced at Draco and cleared his throat. "Consider this growth?"

Hermione sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose. Sure she had said that and meant it, but she didn't think she would one day have to include Draco Malfoy in that "anyone". She liked to believe everyone was redeemable in some way, but a small, petty part of her wanted to punch Malfoy in the face (again) and send him out the door.

And yet.

And yet she couldn't.

She couldn't because of the fractured look she had seen in his eyes the last time they spoke - when he had stood in the midst of the destruction of Hogwarts and helped her rebuild. She was seeing an echo of that sorrow in his eyes now, a sorrow that she was certain had haunted her own eyes the first time she had stepped into a tattoo shop. His shoulders were slumped slightly, the weight of the world no doubt heavy upon his shoulders. It caused her heart to ache.

Buried beneath his sorrow, tucked away under the shadows of so much loss and pain, was the slightest glimmer of hope. That hope, that faint light that sparked in his gray eyes, made up her mind. She only saw it for a moment, a split second when he met Theo's gaze, before it was covered with careful nonchalance. But she saw it, and she wouldn't be the one to steal even the smallest amount of hope from someone's eyes.

Her silent staring unnerved Draco enough that he leaned towards Theo and muttered under his breath, "We should leave."

"I'm not giving you the Hogwarts discount."

She was satisfied by the uncharacteristic look of shock that crossed Malfoy's face. She frowned at him and said, "If we are going to do this, you will pay in full upfront, and there will be no throwing insults or rude behavior. If you insult me or mine, I reserve the right to stun you and tattoo the ugliest design I can think of right on your forehead. Am I understood?"

He blinked slowly at her, as though trying to process everything she had said. "Of course, Granger," he murmured. "I wouldn't... I would like to think we are passed such childish behavior."

Hermione pursed her lips and grunted skeptically. "Well we shall see, won't we?" She turned sharply on her heel and made her way toward her office.

Theo shoved his hands in his pockets and smirked at Draco. "I told you she would do it."

Draco rolled his eyes at Theo but kept his witty retorts to himself. He didn't want to get kicked out of Granger's store before he got what he had come for.

"You should probably head back to her office," Theo said and nodded his head towards the door Hermione had vanished through. "She doesn't like to be kept waiting."

Draco nodded but didn't move. "Where will you be?"

Theo swallowed thickly and tried to sound casual when he said, "I will be running the front desk."

Narrowed eyes slowly slid over the room to stare at Theo. "Will you?"

The question was too casual. Theo refused to look at Draco, already knowing the interrogation that must be brewing in his friend's mind and afraid of whatever judgments he might find in his keen gaze.