16. Hold Me Down

Her Highland Vow

16. Hold Me Down

It was warm, unseasonably warm. Rubbing her eyes and wiping the sweat from her brow, Ravenna woke feeling more rested then she could remember being in a long time. Sighing, she rolled on to her side, only to hit a wall of solid muscle.

Alasdair lay on his back, sleeping soundly, one arm outstretched over the cushions with the other by his head.

In his sleep the furs had moved to rest just above his waist leaving his upper body exposed - minus the thin white tunic he wore. However, even the tunic wasn't keeping his modesty at bay as the stings had come loose in the night revealing the toned chest which lay beneath.

Feeling neither shy nor hesitation, Ravenna studied the lines of his face as he slept, taking in every laugh line, wrinkle and muscle. Lightly, she brushed her fingers across his jawline down to his exposed chest.

She wanted to enjoy this moment. She wanted to run her fingers across the skin of her betrothed in an adoring manner. She wanted the lightness she felt in her chest to never dissipate, even if it became so light that she would have to be held down in fear of floating away.

However - as her mind often did - she began to overthink her situation. The fear of losing him now a very real threat. Had she never of met Alasdair MacLeod, all would have been well. After all, how can you fear the loss of something you never had?

But Alasdair was hers now. He had said so himself and no matter how hard she tried to quiet her mind, her inability to not overthink everything was in overdrive.

As she followed the lines of his skin she became aware of what she was unconsciously doing. Ravenna was memorising every fine detail of Alasdair's face - from his brow line to his jaw - just in case there came a day when she would no longer be able to lay her eyes upon him again.

It felt strange to her to think in such morbid ways, but Ravenna was well aware that both she and Alasdair were now treading into dangerous waters.

So, she choose to cherish this moment. to back in their happiness, not matte how short-lived in could possibly be.

No matter what would or could happen - the memory of this small intimate moment was something no one could ever take from her.

'Ye best stop that, Lass.' Alasdair had not stirred nor opened his eyes, but his voice was thick with sleep.

'Nay,' She whispered as she ran her hand across the light red hair of his chest.

Alasdair covered her hand with his. The warm, callused skin of his hand upon hers made Ravenna feel like she had been wrapped in a comforting blanket.

'Please?'

'Okay,' Ravenna sighed, 'M'sorry.'

'Do no' apologize, Lass.  Tis only I do no' wish to take ye before our weddin' night and ye soft touch so early in the morn makes that an uneasy task.'

'Oh,' Ravenna's cheeks flamed red as she began to understand his meaning.

Alasdair chuckled and released her hand only to bring his arm around her body, pulling her closer into his side.

'I could get used to wakin' like this.' She sighed into his shoulder as he ran his hand through her long black tresses.

'I do no' agree.' He said mischievously.

'Why?' She asked shocked.

Alasdair released her and quickly moved so that he was leaning on top of her. Ravenna's breath hitched as every part of Alasdair's body came in contact with hers; only Ravenna's thin nightgown and Alasdair tunic separated their skin, and for a moment - neither the first nor the last - Enna wished that they were already married.

'Mo chridhe, (my heart), I only meant that I'm no' accustomed to sleepin' with clothin' on,' He whispered in her ear before leaving small kisses across her neck and up to her jaw, ' When we are married I do no' expect us to wear such trivial garments to bed. I remained dressed as to no' warrant any unfavourable rumours from spreadin'.'

Alasdair continued to trail kisses along Ravenna's jaw before leaving a trail of kisses down to her chest, just above her breast, causing Ravenna to produce a breathy moan, much to Alasdair's approval.

'Wakin' up beside ye,' He continued between kisses, 'I verra much like.'

Alasdair stopped his assault on her chest to place a kiss against her lips. Ravenna tangled her hands in his hair, kissing him back instantly. Their bodies moved against each other causing both to become evidently aroused and their embrace to become heated and passionate.

Breaking apart, Alasdair laid his head upon Ravenna's shoulder, his body now only half on her to not crush her with his full weight. His arm wrapped around her stomach and Ravenna's hands moved from Alasdair's hair, down to his back, hugging him close to her.

'I do no' wish to leave this bed,' She said breathlessly.

'Nor do I, Lass, but we must.'

Alasdair, after a prolonged sigh, climbed out of bed and stretched as Ravenna stayed tucked under the blankets and furs.

After she playfully refused to get out of bed, Alasdair - now fully dressed - leaned over the bed and leaned his chin on Ravenna's shoulder.

'Lass, I will make ya get out of this bed

'Lass, I will make ya get out of this bed...one way or another.' He teased then kissed her shoulder and rolled her over so that she was now looking up at him.

'I'd like to see ye try.' She challenged with a smile.

Alasdair only smirked before he pulled the covers off her and picked her up bridal style.

She squealed in girlish delight as he held her close.

'Tis no' fair, ye too strong,' Ravenna complained as he placed her feet upon the cold ground. Luckily no maids had come into stoke the fire, as rumours would have undoubtedly spread about Alasdair and Ravenna's night together, but it also meant that the stone floor was like ice on Enna's bare feet.

'Ye will no' be complainin' about me strength in coming months, Lass...nor me stamina.' He winked and he flexed his biceps.

'Careful...ye do no' want to strain one of ye precious muscles.' She cooed.

'Nay chance of that dear...at least no' until a certain night.' He winked again, smirking, and placed his plaid over his tunic.

'I'll leave first...come down in a few minutes. Oh, and I would no' mention anythin' about Iain and Evelyn to anyone. Best we keep this information close to our chest for now.' He suggested.

Ravenna nodded and kissed him before shutting the door behind him. When he was gone her cheeks flared bright red. She had never felt so blissfully happy in all her life.

Returning to the bed to soak in the warmth he had left behind, Ravenna pulled the furs up to her chin and drifted back off to sleep with Alasdair's scent still lingering in the air.