Ch | 20

Brooklyn Noelle Brankovich

Chapter Twenty: "Hiring Immediately"

I didn't end up practicing with my mother. For the meantime, I was done with dance - err, at least the regular practices and recitals.

When I said I was moving out, I meant it. I'd had enough. Besides, I'm twenty-two anyway, most people my age were working, in committed relationships, and/or out of their parents' house.

After a long day of apartment hunting, I was ready to give up. I didn't know shit about shit. All I knew was I wanted to be far away, and comfortable.

I went to check my email after creating an account on a job-seeking site.

As I let the page reload, my eyes contacted an unread email. Intrigued, I clicked. The subject line said:

CA apartment w/ job

Hmm. I read on.

Good evening Brooklyn,

I am Courtney Sinclair, secretary of Z.A. Co. of California.
I'm reaching out to you because we've stumbled across your profiles and think you'd be a great fit for our team!
This job comes with living arrangements shall you accept. We understand you may need time to think about it, but this offer won't be on the table for long.
Further job details will be discussed once you reply. If you have any questions, reply to this email.
To accept this offer, call the number listed below.

Best wishes

I reread the message and then pondered the thought.

This could be a once in a lifetime offer! But what if it's a scam? What's the worst that could happen, I go to Cali and lose some money? Have to fly back home and look for another job and place to stay?

Because of the current situation I was dying to get out of, I was inclined to accept.
In need of just a little more info, I replied to the email with some vital questions. It was late so I figured she wouldn't reply until the morning which gave me time to sleep on things.

After a shower, I went to the kitchen and asked where my breakfast was

"Sorry, honey, your mom never gave me your order," Sutton said to me. I looked at Mother who was drinking a cup of coffee while reading something on her iPad at the breakfast nook.
The straight ponytail swept my shoulder as I turned back to face Sutton.