White Bones and Berries

My fingers scraped against the burnished oak handle.

The voice never spoke lies. He spoke the truth and his words were sincere.

I pressed down on the handle.

Voices.

"Elaena is a murderer!"

I pressed my ear to the wood of the door.

Men's voices. Eden's council.

"My lord king, the guard saw that an object was left within his Majesty's chambers." Something scraped against leather.

"Do you dare to say that my sister is the one responsible?"

Jezreel. I clamped my hand over my mouth to stop a cry emerging.

"I do, my lord. She is the daughter of—"

I heard steel against my skin and a body crashing to the floor. The dagger. My fingers were digging so hard into my palms that I hissed, opening my hands to see marks of blood.

Blood will be on your hands as it is on mine, the voice whispered.

"—She is the Curse of Eden," a voice said.

Cursed.

"If ever speak such words to her, or of her, I will cut out your tongue and feed it to the dogs. Do you understand?" Jezreel's voice was soft. "I will search out the truth."

I? Cursed?

Am I the fracture of a nation?

What have I ever done to unleash their spite on me? I wanted to scream. All I ever wished for was to be loved for myself. My whole, imperfect self.

The doors crashed open.

I stumbled back, shielding my face.

"Seize her!"

Arms bound around my skin and seized the shoulders of my dress. The sound of tearing silk filled my ears along with the sound of leathers brushing against swords. The points of the swords pressed into my stomach.

"To her knees," commanded a strong, harsh voice.

A kick to the back of my legs sent me to my knees. A hand twisted one arm behind me while a blade rested against my neck. My eye lifted to the face of a duke. Varren, Duke of the Sun Mountains and advisor to the king. Jezreel. My eye turned to him, pleading.

He stood in his chambers surrounded by advisors.

Jezreel's eyes lifted to mine. Cold gray stone set in a face of dark skin with dark hazel hair.

Jezreel will be King-

"Please, spare me."

The Duke's voice echoed around the hall for all to hear. "Princess Elaena, daughter of King Arron, you are accused of murder and treason against the Crown—"

"No!" I cried. "Should I die?"

"—You will be held for your crimes and will be judged for them."

"Please!" I screamed to Jezreel. "Spare me. Spare my life."

No love. No mercy. No kindness.

"Take her away." The Duke waved a hand.

As I was dragged away, screaming. "Jezreel! Please, I beg you! Do not do this wicked act. Please, I am your sister!"

*************

My stomach slammed into the edge of my table.

Vases of blown glass crashed into the stone. Flowers dripped their water against my palms.