Chapter 3: The Middle II

It happens on a regular Wednesday evening. Jisoo and Jennie are in the kitchen preparing dinner together like they have on hundreds of other occasions.

Jisoo is standing by the kitchen counter, chopping up vegetables while Jennie cooks the chicken on the stove. Ruby is behind them, sitting perched in her high chair playing with Jennie's keys that she has recently become obsessed with.

"So is Mr. Lee still being a poop?" Jennie asks.

A small smile appears at Jennie's use of the word poop instead of swearing. She nods.

"Yeah, unfortunately. Today he-"

Loud jingling of keys interrupts her, and both women look over to Ruby who is banging the keys against her high top table.

"Food's almost ready Ruby don't worry," Jennie assures, before she goes back to cooking.

"Anyway, today Lee had the nerve to say that my-" Once again, keys hitting against the table interrupts her.

"Ruby, no," Jennie says, "Don't do that."

She starts to go over to Ruby to take the keys from her, when all of a sudden Ruby says, "Mama."

And Jennie freezes.

Jisoo's jaw drops and she spins around to face the toddler.

"Did she just-"

"She said-"

"Oh my god!" Jennie exclaims. She rushes over to Ruby, who clearly knows something good is happening by the way she smiles.

"Ruby just said mama," Jisoo says, in shock.

Jennie whisks Ruby up into her arms, and hugs her close, "Oh my sweet beautiful girl," Jennie gushes.

"Mamamama," Ruby babbles.

"Holy shit that's adorable," Jisoo says.

"Language."

"Come on, I can't help! Our little Ruby just said her first word!" Jisoo squeals, a wide smile on her lips.

She looks at Jennie, whose eyes are shimmering with happy tears. She wants to pull Jennie in for a tight hug, so she does, wrapping her arms around both of her girls. Jisoo presses a kiss to the top of Ruby's head with a loud smacking noise.

The chicken gets burnt slightly, and dinner is slightly later than normal.

But it doesn't matter.

Ruby is all that matters.

.

Later that evening, it's Ruby's bedtime. They had all been relaxing in the living room, watching Finding Dory. Jennie was snuggled up in a blanket, while Jisoo laid on the sofa, with Ruby on her stomach.

So Jisoo offered to put her to get her ready for bed.

Now, Jisoo stands in front of the changing table, as she changes Ruby's diaper one last time before she puts her down to sleep.

For some reason, Jisoo actually doesn't mind changing diapers, not anymore at least. There isn't really much to it once you get the order down and Jisoo enjoys spending that much more time with the toddler.

Jisoo unbuttons Ruby's onesie, Ruby giggles when she tickles her fingers on her bare stomach. Then she undresses Ruby swiftly, before laying her back down.

She makes quick work of the diaper, making sure Ruby's all clean and dry before putting a new one on her.

Once she's happy that Ruby will be comfortable, she begins to speak to her just as she always does when she puts her to bed.