Chapter 2: The Ball

I made my way down the grand staircase towards the foyer, catching the attention of some guests. I was fashioned in an off-the-shoulder ball gown with a full skirt of shimmery material.

          I adorned lavish, expensive fabric but that was only customary for being a member of the royal family. I knew the controversy that surrounded our government and my father who helped King Fritz rule our kingdom, whether he ruled it well or not was up for debate but I stayed out of political matters per request of both of my parents who did not want to subject me to the criticism they may have brought upon themselves.

As I made the final few steps towards the marble floor of the grand entrance room, my mother swiftly came to my side and grabbed my arm gently pulling me towards the ballroom.

"I have good news," She mused. My attention had been successfully caught. "I talked with your father and we have set up an arrangement for you to volunteer as a nurse for the Survey Corps." I perked up immediately after hearing those words.

"Really?" I asked unsure if I was dreaming. My hopes were coming true and I could not be more elated than I was right now. "But I thought father was so against the idea! He seemed quite firm when he had told me no just earlier, said that he was afraid I'd get hurt." My mother shook her head in excitement.

"Oh pish posh! You know me, I'm quite the well-heeled woman. I have my efficient ways of getting what I want... And some other ways in particular that I use to sway just your father." She smirked like a saucy little minx.

          "Mother! Stop. I don't want to know anything about that, goodness God!" I pleaded and tried pulling away. She just laughed at me and continued.

          "Oh alright but first, there is someone we'd like you to meet." She said as she continued guiding me across the large and crowded ballroom, arm in arm. My head was practically spinning due to the fact that I could barely process what was happening and my excitement could not be contained inside me. Maids and Butlers were serving trays of the most savory foods and delectable beverages all around the bright-lit, extravagantly decorated room. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw my father. He was taking to an unknown person whose back was facing towards me. I wanted to go up my father and thank him for allowing me to volunteer as an aid for the Scout Regiment, but my mother was already pulling me in that direction before I could finish my thoughts as if she were reading my mind.

"Ah, there she is, my lovely daughter!" My father beamed. My mother gave him an expecting look. "And my lovely wife of course!" The man he was speaking to turned around swiftly to face me and right in that moment, I had been rendered speechless. A dashing man to say the least, with dark ebony black hair and the most piercing silver eyes I'd ever seen. Cold. If I had to describe this man with one word, based on just looking at him for the first time, cold would be the word to describe him. The ballroom was filled to the brim with sweaty people dancing, yet I felt icy in his presence. "Captain Levi, this is my daughter, Mariam that I was telling you about. I've personally tasked you with ensuring her safety and supervising her as she tags along with your team." My father explained. God, the way he talked made me out to be some sort of little kid and it made my blood boil. But I had to maintain my composure. I stuck my hand out in an attempt to get him to shake it.

"Hi, I'm Mariam. I just wanted to thank you for agreeing to do all this, my goal is to be as much service as I can to our brave soldiers and thanks to you I can do that!" I enthused with a warm smile. He nodded curtly, almost dismissively without a word and turned his head back to my father who continued speaking about the arrangement. I realized my hand was still out, and had been left unshaken. SHIT. Embarrassed, I yanked it back quickly and held both my hands in front of me. Oh, how I would've loved for a titan to just have swallowed me right there so I wouldn't have to face anyone after being humiliated by none other than myself.