Chapter 2

What are friends for, that was something I preached. I believed so much in friends. I always went that extra mile to make sure that they got what they wanted. They smiled and said thank you. And I thought it was an eternal smile, a vow that we will always be together. Oh! I was too foolish to believe this as I later learned.

Richard was the general manager of a new generational bank and a primary school classmate, we reunited four years ago and have been good friends ever since. I was even the chairman at his wedding ceremony.
The deal I had mentioned earlier was a motor dealer’s association deal. We had come together to give money to import the largest number of used cars in the history of that seaport. I was the chairman of the association and the initiator of the projects. Skeptics have reared their hydra headed suspicions that it was risky but I had been convinced otherwise.
In this project, to prove how much I believed in it, I put all my money, all I had with the hope that I will become twice as rich when the deal came through.
This Monday (a week from today) was the day of expectation, the day the goods landed and Vivian lay there making an understandable proposal but at the wrong time.
           “Emeka,” she called again when it seemed I was silent.
            “I heard you Vivian. I will call Richard in the morning.”
            “O thank you darling.” She said and sealed it with a kiss.
In the next few days, the vitality I saw in Vivian was surprising. She was beside herself with joy. She seized every opportunity to tell me how much she loved me. She became extra vigilant over the household chores. She became in my eyes, twice the wife any man could wish for. And I was proud of her.
Fuelled by this, the next few days were not restful for my friend Richard as I kept pestering him to hurry proceedings for the loan. Richard kept excusing on grounds that it was small and other corporate jargons to which I didn’t listen.
          “I have the collateral, so why shouldn’t I get this loan?” I asked him.
         “O boy wetin! Let man rest,” Richard would explain. “You will get the loan.”
           “Look Richard”, I’d say. “If you are not serious I will contact my friend Mallam Musa.”
         “What has a Mallam got to do with banking?” he asked.
         “He is the most successful money lender in the north.”
         “What are you doing with such people?” Richard asked.
“Like I’d always tell you my guy, I have many friends; wherever the four winds blow there are people who know me, Emeka Okechukwu.”
Richard laughed at that and made another promise.