Chapter 3

Finally, I got the loan after five days of request. Within the process of events, I received one of the most frequent visitors that plague me in this life, Mazi Okeke.
Mazi Okeke was the poorest man in our village; he is the burden my father saddled me with on his death bed. So, you can imagine the distress that crossed my brow when he appeared with his ‘Ghana must go’ bag the same one always, I recognized it by the hole in its side.
            “Good day, my son.”

My answer was always a guttural sound that I hoped he didn’t miss but it seems he always did.
I asked Vivian to serve him some kola. Then, went out to vomit my anger at the gateman; who kept pleading with me that it wasn’t his fault.
         “I thought I told you not to allow that beggar into my compound.” I yelled at the gateman.
         “Oga I beg, since him come all the way from Imo state, I no know how I go send am back.
This was reasonable. But I was beyond reason. “Next time, you will follow him.”

           “Ah! Oga, you go sack me?”
           “Shut up!” I barked.
           “Yes sir, e no go happen again.” He pleaded and I went back inside.

After the usual “how are people back at home.” Of which, I wasn’t really concerned about. I asked bluntly “what brings you this time?”
      “Em….. It’s good you asked my son. You know our elders say…..” he goes into monologue of archaic proverbs.
         “Baba, go straight to the point.” I said in a cool but impatient tone.
        “My eldest son; in the university. He will finish this year…..”
      “How much,” I quickly cut in. All in a ploy to irritate him into knowing that he was not welcomed.
     “Twenty five thousand Naira. My son that is exactly what I need for his school fees.”
          “And I am the nearest rich relative you can find?”

         “My son, please do not be annoyed,” he pleaded.
“Hmm, I don’t have that much money to spare. But I will give you something, “Vivian” I called out from the sitting room.
And she came out, hands wet from the meal she was preparing. “Please bring me my black bag.”
What I gave him was just over his transport money…. But he was thankful. He needed to be, I hoped he would leave me alone after I single handedly built him a house. I should not also be responsible for training his children in school.