Chapter 5

They say the fool is taught many times before he learns. But I plead with your wisdom. The saying that “No money, no friend” holds truth sometimes but the absence of money sometimes brings out our true friends. Dear ones believe me, for this I have learned.
On arrival at the village, I was told that my two-storey mansion had been seized by the union. They aimed to sell it and get at least some of their money back.
Life became unbearable, why was everybody so suddenly wicked? They said I was warned? My wife and children sat at the gate of my house, the house into which, our entry was denied. Nobody was willing to give us shelter. I was devastated.
It was only Mazi Okeke that came along; he asked if all was well. Vivian began to cry and so did the children. It took a heroic effort for me to hold back my tears as I narrated the tales of what happened.  He took us home, the house I claimed to have built for him was a small two bedroom bungalow, it was not even plastered yet nor the floors even tiled but it was lived in. The inner doors were absent with worn-out chairs and curtains, depicting poverty. But what could I expect?
Today, my family and I are getting used to the fall from grace to grass. Mazi Okeke has been very kind to me and my family. Recently, we celebrated his son’s graduation and a promise of employment at an oil company. I am almost ashamed when I wish this would be the lever I’m waiting for to launch me back into success.

                        Questions

What lesson did Emeka learn?

What happened to Emeka’s house in the village and why?

What is the condition of Mazi Okeke’s house?

What was celebrated?

Who was ashamed and why?