Chapter 102 - Be A Burden

*WARNING: The following content contains HEAVY mature content that may not be suitable for younger audiences.

In the large private office at Glory Trade Corporation, sat two men in the lounge room – one of which was Tobias Itou. The handsome man's eyes were unreadable as they flickered across the pages in his hands. Sitting on the other side, an older man watched him. His expression seemed as if he wanted to say something.

At long last, he did.

"I take it you handled that problem of yours well."

Tobias raised his head from the documents and glanced over at Lori Itou across from him. He knew the problem his father was referring to was during their last meeting when he unexpectedly left. That was the day Mimi suddenly went missing. The mere thought caused his mood to worsen. With his legs crossed, he quietly looked back at the work before him.

Lori Itou sighed, but continued, "Was it work-related?"

Instead of responding at his father's attempt peer into his problems, Tobias continued to disregard him. Lori Itou looked at his son bitterly, the hands-on his lap clenched.

"Are you seeing anyone? Work isn't everything, you know. You should take some time off and find--"

The folder in Tobias's hand landed on the glass table with a sharp sound.

"I finished reading over the contract. Everything seems fine except for a few details. I'll have my secretary forward them to you in an email." Although he maintained his courteous manner, there was clear dissatisfaction on his face.

"Tobias..."

"Don't forget, our relationship right now is purely business-related. Once the contract is over, we will have nothing to do with one another." Tobias said coldly, the emotions in his eyes unclear.

When those emotionless black eyes looked at him, Lori Itou inexplicably felt a cold sweat form. Sighing, he leaned back in his seat and allowed his son to finish reading over the last documents. When all was said and done, Tobias stood up to leave when his father's voice suddenly stopped him.

"Next week, I'm having one last gathering with the family and some old friends. I would like it if you would just come this once. After that...I won't bother you ever again."

With his back still face to him, Lori Itou was unable to see the expression on his son's face.

When it seemed he would decline, he was surprised to hear Tobias's deep and calm voice say: "I'll think about it."

Without allowing him a chance to respond, Tobias walked out of the office to attend his next meeting. Alone, Lori Itou touched the rim of his cup with a distant expression. Every moment, he wished he could turn back time to when it all fell apart.

...

In the backseat of a car, Tobias leaned into his seat with a brooding expression. The silence within the car was suffocating, but soon enough, someone sighed heavily.

"Don't look so cold Mr. Itou. You'll scare away the investors in the next meeting." His secretary, Juno said from the driver's seat. Without even turning around, he could sense his boss's bad mood.

"It can't be helped." Tobias irritably grumbled.

Juno looked through the rearview mirror, then back to the road.

"Lori Itou?" Were the only two words Juno had to say for the mood in the car to shift once more.

Tobias said nothing. Instead, a flicker of rage could be seen within his dark eyes. There was a moment of silence. When the car stopped at a red light, Juno glanced back at the rearview mirror.