S3 Ep 2: The Mall Rats

(Y/n)'s pov:

"Have a nice day." I say in a monotone voice, hanging ice cream to the people in front of me.

"Thank you."

A small boy with a yellow hat, a gap in his teeth, and a smile on his face comes up to the register.

"Hi."

"Hi." I say with a smile.

"I'm Dustin." He says while gesturing to himself.

"I'm (Y/n)."

"Pleasure to meet you." He nods. "Uh, is- is he here?"

"Is who here?" I ask.

Steve, who was in the back room busted out excitedly , "Henderson."

Dustin laughs and points at Steve.

"Henderson!" He jumps. "He's back!"

"I'm back!"

"You got the job!"

"I got the job!" Steve says pretending to play the trumpet.

They do a nerdy handshake and I look over at Steve who had his faces scrunched up while laughing. The sight alone made my heart melt.

"How many children are you friends with?" I ask him.

He sighs and gestures over to me as a way of "introducing" me to Dustin.

~

Steve's pov:

"No, no. No way." I say as Dustin shoves the ice cream in his mouth. "Hotter than Phoebe Cates? No."

"Mm-hmm." Dustin says, swallowing the ice cream. "Brilliant, too. And she doesn't even care that my real pearls are still coming in. She says kissing is better without teeth."

"Wow. yeah," I say, shifting in my seat. "That's great. Proud of you, man. That's kinda romantic. That's like...wow."

"So do you really just get to eat as much of this as you want."

"Yeah. I mean, sure." I say. "It's not really a good idea for me though. I gotta keep in shape for the ladies."

"Yeah, and how's that working out for you?" (Y/n) calls.

"Ignore her."

"She seems cool." Dustin said, eating more ice cream.

"Why thank you, Dustin." She replies, doing a little bow before returning to work.

"She's not." I dismiss. "So, where are the other knuckleheads?"

"They ditched me yesterday."

"No."

"My first day back." Dustin said. "Can you believe that shit?"

"Woah. Seriously?"

"There gonna regret, though," Dustin points. "Big time, when they don't get to share in my glory."