Chapter 11 ➵

"Cedric" I spoke, not expecting to see him, let alone him holding his arm out to help me up.

"Are you alright?" He spoke, his voice deep and laced in concern.

I sat aimlessly for a second, grabbing Cedric's forearm when I realised he was being genuine; "Thanks. You know your mood swings are kind of giving me whiplash" I muttered, dusting myself off after being pulled back to my feet.

"Come with me?" He asked, almost demanding.

I frowned "What? I can't, I've got Potions"

"Skip it" Cedric shrugged.

I stood and watched him in the doorway as if I was waiting for a punchline but spoke hesitantly when nothing came, too scared to reject his confident offer, I just suspected he wanted to start practise early; "I'll go get my broom”.

"No, no practice, not today" Cedric shook his head and ushered me out of the room, his hand pressing between my shoulder blades as I walked passed him, my chest lurching at his touch.

-

We carried on through The Castle and towards The Wooden Bridge, stopping in the middle for a second to look out at The Black Lake again.

Cedric cleared his throat awkwardly "I-uhm…I’m sorry about yesterday" His eyes rested on me but he couldn’t hold his gaze "I don't mean to come across… the way I do sometimes"

I exhaled a small laugh from my nostrils "You made me skip class so you could apologize?"

"Uh, no, not exactly" He spoke, then darting his eyes to the corner of The Black Lake "I want to show you something".

I studied Cedric's face, trying to read and figure out his motive for apologising. I wanted to ask him about Draco and what he had said to me about Cedric’s threats. I knew he was hiding something, I could of seen that without Malfoy screaming it in my face, but I still trusted Cedric. I decided I didn’t want him running off again, so I figured it was time to gain his trust first, although that may take some time; but one thing Hufflepuffs were good at; patience.

So I gave in with a sigh; "Okay, Diggory...lead the way"

Cedric nodded and gave me a warm and almost excited smile, trailing onwards past The Whomping Willow. We walked through the trees, the sun leaking through the cracks above, stroking Cedric's floppy hair, making it glow in streaks of blond as he stole small glances at me. Autumn leaves enchantedly floated to the side of us, creating a path where Cedric and I walked towards an opening, surrounded by pines and outlined by different shaped boulders and a small stone wall. He sat on top of the wall where his feet just touched the ground and he gestured towards the space next to him, making me chuckle at the mysteriousness of the situation.

"What exactly are we doing here?" I spoke as I pushed myself up onto the rocky space next to The Hufflepuff Captain.

A lovely smirk fell across his face "Just wait. He'll come"

"He?" I spoke, a little more concerned.

Suddenly, a few forceful gusts of wind blew through the opening above and I heard a thud come from the woodland in front of us. My heartbeat raced and my breath was taken away, my hands stuck to the wall for support where we sat. Cedric just grinned a laugh at my shakiness and waited as a gargantuan Hippogriff emerged from the trees and spread its wings out like an angel, shaking the dust and pine needles from its feathers; sending another gust our way, stronger this time, before stomping it's front hoofe demandingly.

"Cedric, what… what is this?" My eyes widened at the animal and the shock in my voice was dominant.

But Cedric just continued to laugh and spoke casually, jumping from the rock gently; "This is Buckbeak"