VI.

"So how did you two exactly meet?" your dad asks over the dinner table. You are all sitting around the long pine table, the tremendous amount of food lining in the middle as the plates are going around, getting filled.

"Oh, um, we were set up, actually. It was all Rosa," you admit with a soft chuckle, sharing a look with Marcus beside you.

"I just thought they would be a good match, guess I was right," Rosa grins, clearly satisfied with the work she's done.

"What do you do for a living, Marcus?" Jeremy chimes in while helping Margaret cut her meat beside him. She is the youngest of the cousins, only five, but she can boss around anyone as if she was Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada.

"Oh, I work in sales. We had a project with Steven's company, that's where we met."

"That sounds interesting," Joe nods, but at the same time you hear Harry huff on the other end of the table. Looking in his way you see him with his eyes fixed on the plate. He hasn't said a word since Marcus arrived and his silence is quite worrying if you're being honest. You haven't seen him be silent for this long ever, you're afraid he might be plotting something.

"It's so weird that all four of us are here with a significant other this year. I remember when we were all just kids, running around in our backyard," Etta sighs with a nostalgic smile.

Your eyes wander over to Harry, who is still relentlessly staring down at his plate, as if he wasn't even there.

"Yeah, now there are just two single people sitting at the table. Aunt Monica and Harry," you say and his head finally snaps up, eyes meeting yours, but you can't read them.

"You're single?" Lily asks Harry, leaning forward a little so she can see him since they are sitting on the same side of the table.

"I, uhh--I am, yeah," he nods, clearly uncomfortable he is being discussed all of a sudden.

"Would have sworn you have someone waiting for you at home."

"No, it's just me," he shakes his head. "Maybe I could pair up with Aunt Monica so there wouldn't be any single people," he jokes, making everyone laugh at the table. Aunt Monica looks up from her plate and winks at Harry.

"I'll leave my door open for the night," she cheekily comments and Harry almost chokes on his wine as another round of laugh runs over the table.

"Monica, he is not a lonely soldier," your mom tells her, but she just shrugs her shoulders grabbing her glass and downing the rest of her wine. Joe is quick to refill it for her, knowing well she was about to ask someone to do that for her.

"Thanks for the offer though," Harry nods shyly and you think it's hilarious how his cheeks have turned red from a nasty comment your aunt made.

His eyes find you again right when Marcus reaches over and squeezes your thigh gently under the table and you catch Harry's grimace before you turn to your boyfriend and share a short peck on the lips.

For your biggest surprise Harry doesn't try to drop any nasty comments about you during dinner, not even after, when all adults gather in the living room while the kids leave to play video games in their room. Rosa is sitting on Harry's thigh as he is supporting her back, letting her curiously look around in the room. You're sitting on a loveseat with Marcus, curled up to his side and he has an arm around your shoulders. Occasionally you catch Harry's eyes on the two of you, but you try to pay little attention to him and just enjoy the evening.

"I should get going soon," Marcus tells you, checking the time. It's past ten and he has to leave early in the morning.

"Why don't you stay for the night?" Teresa asks when she sees the two of you getting up from the sofa.