an unusual day in the common room

July one, 1994

There I was, sprawled down on the comfortable deep-blue rugs spread upon the floor of the Ravenclaw common room, and someone thinks it's amusing to rip a page out of a book.

Seriously.

It was a quiet chattering mass of Ravenclaws in the common room last morning- a little unusual after the constant silence maintained during the end-of-term examinations- when suddenly a loud "rrrrrrripppp" was heard throughout the room.

Deadpan silence for about 10 seconds. Then the smack of someone punching the mickey out of another person.

And it all went haywire from then. The person who had been punched punching back, loud whispering in the corners, agitated faces, and shouting of curse words to the suspected culprit.

If you're not a Ravenclaw, you'd probably not know this, but if someone does anything that is even close to damage of a book of any kind- even accidentally- they are punished. Called a culprit. No books for a whole week. Apart from that, if you are unlucky enough, you might get a few blows, but fortunately, these events have seldom happened.

You think I must be joking, but this is the thing that goes about in our dearest common room. We treat books here like priceless jewels- which, not to mention, they are- and damage to them is not at all tolerated.

Poeple say none of the other houses or teachers know about this, and it is a secret that stays within the common room, but in my opinion, Professor Flitwick knows exactly what little trouble his Ravenclaws cause, 'cause we rarely cause any. I don't know for what reason he doesn't confront or punish us, but I've made a guess that deep inside, he thinks the culprit is worth it.

Now, now, to the present. The culprit was none other than our most humble Quidditch Captain, Roger Davies, and who would've thought that the one who punched him would turn out to be Cho Chang?

"What did you do that for?!" she shrieked, anger flushing her face.

"What did I do that for? You punched me!" he retorted.

"Answer the question, Davies. Or should I say, culprit" sneered Padma Patil from the corner.

"Books are dumb! What's the big deal with a page anyways? The exact replica of the Golden Egg which I can make from it is much more attractive."

"Who thinks so?" asked Michael Corner.

"Fleur thinks so."

"Fleur Delacour? The Beauxbatons Champion?"

And then total chaos again. Hexes flying in every direction, more screaming, and disapproving sighs for Roger Davies' dumbness. Finally the Ravenclaw headgirl had to step in to stop the whole drama.

For Roger Davies, well, he got detention. Yes, on the second-last day of the school year. I don't know how our headgirl managed to give him one without the whole school knowing about that morning, but here while us other students are enjoying an appetizing meal in the great hall, he's probably somewhere in the library, dusting old books without magic.

As for me, I've never seen anything so dramatic happening inside our common room before, and that's speaking with six years' worth of experience.