The Way I Loved You

He is sensible and so incredible

And all my single friends are jealous

He says everything I need to hear and it's like

I couldn't ask for anything better

In everybody's eyes, Jackson Avery seemed like the perfect guy, especially for her. He was funny, smart, caring, and handsome as hell. He was pretty perfect, there was no way she could deny that. He told her she was beautiful, how brilliant she was, and he held her and whispered sweet nothings in her ear in the morning while the sun cast gentle glows on them through the window.

He always somehow knew the right thing to say, but it wasn't always what she wanted to hear. Sometimes she didn't want to hear she was amazing and she had no reason to be worried. Sometimes she just wanted to hear 'shut up, get over it' followed by an I love you and a quick peck on the lips.

He was every girl's dream; he just wasn't hers. No matter how much she liked him or wished he was, he wasn't.

He opens up my door and I get into his car

And he says, you look beautiful tonight

And I feel perfectly fine

He was such a gentleman. He complimented her, showed her off proudly to his richy-rich family, but not like a prize. He was proud to call her his girlfriend. He drank in the sight of her in tight dresses and boring scrubs like she was the last glass of water on a scalding hot day.

He never makes her feel second best.

He was falling, but she was still on ground, content with how she was. She wasn't soaring in the clouds like she had been once before. She was at peace with standing on the concrete streets below her feet.

But I miss screamin' and fightin'

And kissin' in the rain

And it's two a.m. and I'm cursin' your name

You're so in love that you act insane

And that's the way I loved you

She misses the rush. The rush of fighting. The rush of getting so mad at someone that you wanted to just punch them, but kiss them all at the same time.

She misses him getting agitated over stupid things. She misses seeing the lust in his eyes when he was mad at her. She misses the angry sex. She misses feeling the thousands of emotions flowing through her body when they kissed, even if it was just a simple brush of the lips.

She misses him acting crazy over a cut she got on her knee when she tripped, or when she complained about accidentally slicing her finger when she attempted to use a knife. He always hated to see her hurt.

How ironic, considering he was the one who hurt her the most.

Breakin' down and comin' undone

It's a roller-coaster kinda rush

And I never knew I could feel that much

And that's the way I loved you

She misses how they could just yell at each other. For hours, days. They could yell at each other about their crappy surgeries or patients that deserved better than the cards they were dealt. They could take out their anger on each other, trusting that it wouldn't affect them. And it didn't.