prologue

februrary 26th, 2020
"oh, shit."

maia felt herself tearing up as she stared at the positive pregnancy test in her hand.

her phone chimed in her hand, and she stared at the screen, trying to blink the tears out of her eyes.

what is it? her best friend, nia, had asked.

negative or annaborshin

'positive' she responded.

she tossed the positive test under sink and walked back into her room, flopping onto her bed. her phone was buzzing with calls and texts from nia, but what was she supposed to say?

she thought back to herself in 9th grade. she knew she would never have kids; they were loud, gross, and money grabbers.

then, once she hit 10th, her little cousin was born and she got baby fever. she babysat her constantly, treating her like the little sister she always wanted. she was telling chase how she couldn't wait until they got married and she had seven kids.

she remembered last month, when she'd read about what happens during pregnancy and childbirth and decided she'd be okay with 3.
she also told herself that if she got pregnant before she was married, she'd throw herself down the steps or she'd immediately abort it.

how was she gonna tell chase? he wanted to be a senator, what kind of fucking senator had a kid in highschool?

she grabbed her phone and answered her incoming call.

"what am i gonna do, nia?" she asked her best friend.

"bitch i don't know!" nia replied. "pregnant?! are you sure it's right?"

"no, it's negative i'm just panicking for nothing. yes you ass eater."

nia sucked her teeth. "did you tell chase?"

maia scrunched her face up nervously. "um.."

"tell him, you know i can't keep big secrets. he's gonna freak out but you know he'll be happy. he adores you and he's been having baby fever lately."

that made her smile. she could see it now, chase playing with their baby as she watched.

and then she saw him freaking out and demanding she abort it, straight up leaving her, or them breaking up.

"i'm coming over," nia told her before hanging up. maia didn't even try to protest; she was thankful nia's mother was chill enough to let her sleepover randomly.

she was even more thankful that her parents were asleep and she'd be able to sneak her out in the morning.

fifteen minutes later, nia arrived, holding snacks and three more pregnancy tests.

"you need to be absolutely certain," she told her.

all of the tests were positive. this sent maia into even more tears. she knew she was at least two months and the window for an abortion was closing.

"i'm g-gonna tell c-chase tomorrow," she sniffled, nia rubbing her back.

"chase's a good guy. and even if he leaves you, i'd be a great father."

that made her snort out a laugh through her misery. nia smiled, grabbing maia's laptop.

"there you go. we can think about it in the morning, let's watch tv until then."

q & a: what color is your hair
like, vote, comment, n share yall <3