Forest Training -- Avery

"Klara! Why must you play that horrendous cacophony of singing Skwovet at six in the morning?!" I groaned, pulling my pillow over my head.

"Nightcore music is not singing Skwovet," she replied, yanking off my blanket and forcing me to rise. "So excuse me if your old-guy tastes in music don't agree with the 21st century!"
"Having an elegant taste in music does not make me old," I grumbled, trudging into the boy's bathroom.

Klara's music was so loud and obnoxious, everyone was awake in no time. After I'd tamed my rat's nest of blonde hair, I donned my neatly pressed Psychic uniform, capping it off with my signature top hat and white boots. Then, willing my Pokeballs to rise and assume their regular positions, I checked my reflection in the body-length mirror leaning against the wall.

Purple uniform smoothed to perfection, not one hair of my golden waterfall out of place, Pokeballs floating around my hat like some odd, bobbing halo. Once I deemed myself presentable for my fellow Dojo residents, I strode out of the boy's dormitory and into the main room of the Master Dojo.

Trekking across the tiny battlefield in the center of the Dojo, I made my way into the kitchen, where I was surprised with the sight of Klara, fully dressed and ready for the day. Though I supposed I should have expected something fishy when she woke me up. Usually, she doesn't rise until 10:00 AM, and I was usually the lucky fool who was chosen to wake her.

"You're up early," I noted as I saw her casually chatting with another student. "Is there a special occasion happening today?"
"You betcha!" she giggled, slipping a slice of bread into the toaster. "We've got guests coming over for a whole week!" I stiffened slightly.
"My Future Sight did not predict tourists coming to our Dojo."

"Not tourists, silly," she grinned, poking me playfully in the chest (since I was too tall for her to bop my nose). "These are gym leaders! Master wanted to invite an old friend here to see the island and his Dojo, and he extended the invitation to the whole league! I think even Leon's gonna show up!"

"Oh, wouldn't that be just wonderful?" Honey, Master Mustard's wife, asked, walking into the kitchen. "Klara, won't you stay for breakfast? I'm making Pokepuffs, Scolipede's favorite!" Said Pokemon burst from her Pokeball at the mention of the treats, mandibles dripping with saliva and eyes shining in excitement. "And pancakes for the humans, of course," she added, which spurred Klara's stomach to gurgle in anticipation. I, politely, held mine down.

"Sorry, Miss Honey," she said, grabbing her now finished toast and smearing a bunch of strawberry jelly on it. "I've gotta run! The gym leaders should be here any second, and I'll be the one showin' 'em the way here!"

Gripping her hasty meal in her teeth, she scurried out the door, Scolipede following her dejectedly. "I'll save you some Pokepuffs for later," Honey whispered to the glum Poison-type. Perking up a bit more, she followed her trainer out the door of the Dojo, the sound of dozens of little feet pattering against the wood fading into the distance.

Copying Klara, I immediately claimed the toaster for myself. As much as pancakes sounded wonderful, there would be guests over today, and I predicted a sticky mess would not be a good way to start the morning. "You too, Avery?" Honey asked, surprised. "You never pass up pancakes! Are you feeling alright?"

"Perfectly fine, Miss Honey. I simply wish that my first impression does not consist of syrup stains," I explained while grabbing the butter from the refrigerator with my psychic abilities. "After all, these are the Gym Leaders of Galar. If I wish to be one of them, I must show that I can be elegant if I am to impress my superiors."

"Well, look who's being all fancy," Honey teased, pouring Moomoo Milk into her bowl of pancake mix. "Avery, just because your gym is in the minor division doesn't mean you're below anybody. It just means people haven't seen you truly shine yet." I smiled at her genuine compliment, then turned back to my toast.