Part 2

The corridor stretched out in front of me and I walked forward through the curtain of grey into a flat pool. No one was in the room apart from me. My feet walked forward, trending softly while my head screamed not to jump. A loud splash cut off the silent plead as bubbles crawled into my ears and the chlorine stung my eyes. I blinked and attempted to swim up to the surface. Nothing happened. I was still under the water. I screamed in panic. My throat became empty of air as I struggled against the force that held me down. My lungs burst with the effort of containing what little oxygen I had left. I looked up and saw the flash of blue as the roof opened up to a blackening sky. Smoke slunk into the water as I struggled against the bubbles, thrashing. Pressure shoved me to the bottom of the pool and I had one last glimpse at the sky. A raging black colour that angrily scribbled out anything bright. . .

I jolted out of bed mid scream. I waited for the tears to come pouring down my face but they never did. I got out of bed as silently as I could and tried to ignore the cold air against my bare arms. I quietly got changed whilst sparing second glances at my bedroom door. Half expecting my step-dad to come barging into my room dressed in yesterday's clothes demanding what the matter was.

I pulled on a pair of black jeans and a long sleeve grey top. I wrenched a white t-shirt on. Wearing my steel-cap boots, I yanked a warm hood over my waist and silently trudged out into the early morning.

"Stupid dream." I muttered to myself as I strode down to loud, raging sea.

The clouds reflected against the water giving everything a more hazy feeling. I stood on the ledge that ended a ninth of the way out to sea. The waves smashed against the stained rocks with such ferocity that salty sea spray pricked my face.

The ocean roared at me as if daring me to jump into its shadowy depths.

In my rage I screamed back at the grey, ageless waves. The ocean seemed a bit more peaceful now that I felt a tad better. I spun around and stopped in my tracks. I almost scrambled towards the figure standing at least half a mile away. I ran towards it but it never came into my reach. I gave up when I reckoned it was around six thirty.

Damp both physically and mentally I trudged back to my step-dad's beach shack.

I flung open the door and looked around the kitchen for my cup and stash of black tea. We rarely got milk so I usually just had my tea without it. I looked up the stairs, praying that Liam, or 'lucky' as I liked to call him, was awake.

"Lucky! Rise and shine!" I shouted up the wooden, scratched stairs.

A loud moan was all the answer I got, then a thumping of footsteps made me look up as I was nursing my clay cup.

"Morning Lucky." I said as cheerily as I could.

He looked at me with as much enthusiasm as a dead plant.

"Another night terror Ares?" Was all he said.

"Nothing bad." I replied, casually brushing my dusty, mushroom hair out of my eyes. Lucky looked at me with a somewhat stern glance that was cut off when he spotted the Milo on the bench.

"How was the meeting?" I asked quietly, knowing all to well that Lucky hadn't been too lucky with his cattle.

"You know exactly how it went Ares." He replied behind a mouthful of chocolate powder. I made a face.

"Lucky, don't eat the Milo straight from the can, have it in a drink."

Lucky raised his eyebrows but put the tin down. I nodded respectfully.

"I know, that this is hard. . ." Lucky began.

I looked up sharply. "Don't start that talk."

He looked at me apologetically and I sighed.

"I'm sorry Lucky, I just woke up early this morning, didn't get a proper sleep, that's all."

Lucky raised an eyebrow expectantly, and I managed to refrain from laughing in his face. I stood up and announced loudly.

"I'm gonna go down to the deli for some food."

Lucky nodded vacantly and I stood up, abandoning my half drunk tea, and headed straight for the door. I decided to ride slowly instead of quick. I wanted time to process what I had seen on the beach this morning. I wasn't sure who it could be, or whether it was a figment of my imagination. But one thing's for sure, I would go back to that beach very soon. Even if the person didn't exist in the first place.