Part 12

I plucked the white roses for the kitchen table and for Lucky's bedside table. They reflected my mind, blank apart from the centre, the centre of my mind was Apollo. A bitter sweet memory that would last till I breathed my last breath. I was done with trying to forget Apollo. He was all that I thought about now.

I walked back to the front of Jenny's house and thanked the old woman who was sitting on her front porch. I then walked down her path and opened her gate to where my yellow bike was leaning against her white fence. The bike felt out of place, it was made for a different world. One that had no jealousy, no anger, no love. A place made up purely of happiness, a blissful, ignorant place. . .

I placed the roses in the back basket and waved Jenny goodbye as I rode down the cobbled path, back to our shack a mile down the avenue of green trees and rolling hills. I pushed the front door open and put the roses on the table. I went to the kitchen and grabbed scissors and two crystal wine glasses that Lucky used as vases. I filled them up with with tap water and cut the stems of the roses to fit in the two clear vases.

I placed the unique roses on the left side of Lucky's green bed. It was a weird colour, especially for a doona cover. I walked back downstairs and created a larger bouquet for the dining room table. I fixed myself a hot chocolate and sat down. I played with the necklace Apollo gave me so long ago. Although it seemed only yesterday that Apollo saved me from that fatal gash at the beach. I whispered my favourite part of a poem that I had recited off by heart.

"On yonder rock I will sit and wait for time to present it, the colour of our connection, the feel of our love infection."

I felt tear roll down my face and into my hot chocolate. I was so sad, sad at my own mistake. He wouldn't have me back. I looked up at the ceiling, watching the dust motes swirl in a column of soft, yellow light. I closed my eyes and wanted to hear the familiar roar of the sea.

I got up, put on my jacket with the fluffy rimmed hood, and strode outside towards the beach. The sound of the sea was an imitation of thunder, the wind was exhilarating and blew my hair about like a ripped up flag, the feel of chipped, sandy rocks under my fingers brung back memories of so many weeks ago.

The beginning of my story. I knew that in my story, there would be no colourful connection, no waiting patiently on a rock for the perfect moment. I blew my moment, fair and square.

Apollo couldn't go back on his word, he told me specifically that if I ran away, he couldn't follow.

I scowled and crossed my arms.

"More like wouldn't go after me." I grumbled.

The wind whipped my hair so that I was face to face with the grey, turbulent ocean. I felt alive as I screamed my heart out at the ocean. Though it brought back memories, I felt better letting go.

I knew it wouldn't last long. . .

I looked up at the door when a loud knock echoed around the kitchen. I scraped my chair back and shoved the pendant into the collar of my shirt and dusted myself off. I walked over to the door and opened it in a rushed fashion. A man was standing there. As I observed him, I realised that he was not from around here, at all. This man was wearing a pure white suit and a had a moustache that curled annoyingly.

"What do you want?" I asked curtly.

The man looked me up and down. "My name is Farthing, Harrison Farthing."

I leaned against the door frame, I licked my lips. "So?" I wasn't really interested in this guy at all.

"I'm here to offer you a deal." Harrison said, folding his arms, mimicking my position.

I scowled and stepped aside, he was probably just some preacher coming to spread the word of God. Maybe if he offered his deal and got what he wanted, I could mourn my mistakes in peace.

I sat down facing the so called Harrison.

"What is this deal?" I said, faking enthusiasm.

Harrison looked at me, eyelids drooping. "You've had problems with a boy, have you not?" He said.

I stiffened, how could he possibly, "What is it to you? Girls have boy problems all the time." I was beginning to suspect that this was not the type of deal I had in mind.

"Ah, but this boy was special, wasn't he?" Harrison said, he was teasing me. Making me feel uncomfortable so that I would betray my personal life and feelings. Well, he was in for a surprise, I wasn't that type of girl.

"All first loves are special, is there are point to all this?" I asked, he wasn't making any sense.

"But this connection was something greater."

I looked away from his dark eyes and shuddered, yes, our connection had felt like we were something more than just boyfriend and girlfriend. I had wondered about why it had felt that way, and, I guess I was getting my answer.

"You two were a couple, a special couple and then you left him, you left him for a simple tradition. Is this correct?" Harrison stood up, watching me shift away from him as I tried to stop my tears from flowing down. I'd cried over Apollo too many times, he wasn't coming back. I nodded.

"I can make you forget your pain, I can make you feel like that it was all a hazy dream so that you don't affect yourself and others with your regret and sorrow." He whispered in my ear.

I straightened. How dare he.

"I'm flattered sir but you have to go, I'm glad that you want to help me but, your solution is just running away from it, not fixing it." I got up and walked to the door, trying to hold my anger in. How dare that man suggest to take away the most beautiful memories in my life, to what? What was in it for him?

Harrison walked out the door and I was about to close the it when he said;

"You will regret this. I can promise you that."

I slammed the door and ran up to my room where I fell onto bed.