𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓜𝓮𝓶𝓸𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 𝓪𝓷𝓭 𝓽𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓻𝓮𝓼𝓮𝓷𝓽🍞

Paring is Iwaoi
Bit of angst with a lot more fluff
_______________________________________
Oikawa Tooru's P.O.V.

I remember Highschool, despite all the fangirls I had you stuck with me. I remember that one day you were sick while Makki and Mattsun were in the gym setting up. I went to fill out bottles when someone walked up to me and started talking.
"Is it lonely at the top Oikawa?" is the question he asked.
"No, of course not!" I started, "I have Iwa-chan with me, I have no reason to be lonely."
He looked shocked when I said that, I'm not sure what other answer he was expecting truthfully. But I remember him going on.
"And what if he leaves?" he quickly questioned.
"Iwa-chan won't leave, I'll never have a reason to be lonely," is the answer I gave. I was heading bsck to the gym with our bottles in hand now.
He seemed frustrated, I found it funny all those yesrs ago. But now... it hasn't been funny in years, its actually been a dreaded memory for those years. The day we left each other was when it wasn't funny any more...
I think you felt the same. I told you the story while making you dinner that day and you laughed. After we ate we made a promise to never leave each other. That was in our 2nd year of highschool...

I'm at the top now, but you aren't here with me. I think I should change my answer to his question... it is lonely at the top. It's never been lonely at the top before... I miss you Iwa-chan, I miss you a lot...
I mean sure, we talk. But it isn't the same as when we'd see each other. As when I'd hug you or cling to your arm while I'd ramble out a story. It's not the as when we'd make dinner for each other or lay under the stars. It's not the same as when we'd go to the park and walk around while you caught bugs and tried to make me hold them.
Nothing is the same without you here Iwaizumi Hajime.. my food is blander now, I miss the sweet taste of the milk bread you'd make me. I wonder if you miss me too....

If I think back to the day I flew back to Japan for your birthday as a surprise, then I can remember how excited I was. I went to my mom's house, put my things away, and then rushed to your apartment. The same apartment you got a few months after we graduated, the same one I stayed in with you for the rest of summer.
I knocked on your door and waited, I could hear your footsteps over the quiet music you had playing. You opened the door and before you saw me you coldly said the music wasn't loud. I giggled and smiled which made you look up from your phone and at me, you hugged me tightly and I hugged back just as tightly.
You let me inside and we talked all night, we didn't sleep until the next day. I told you how it wasn't the same without you, you admitted nothing had been the same for you either. I said that it was lonely and your eyes seemed to light up at that, I knew that meant you were planning something, but you didn't say.
I flew back to Argentina days later and my routine went back to normal. Soon months passed since I had gone to Japan and we barely had time to talk.
One fateful day I heard a knock at my door, thinking it was the food delivery I quickly went and answered it. When I saw you there, standing in the rain, a suitcase in hand, and a small sheepish smile on your face I froze before smiling widely. You rubbed the back of your neck and looked down before starting to talk.
"Surprise Shittykawa, you like it..?"
"Why wouldn't I like this surprise?"
"I'm not sure.. look I uh, need to say something."
"If it's about you wanting to stay here, you know you're always welcome to Iwa-chan!"
"I know, I know. This is different though, it's important."
"What is it then?"
"Oikawa, I.... I love you, I have since our 3rd year of Junior high. I enjoy the crappy nickname, the clinging, the hugs, the stories, I love everything. I love everything about you and what you do..."
It took me by surprise, I had thought for years my love was unrequited.
"Iwa-chan.." I started, you cut me off.
"Don't pitty me, if you don't like me say it, please," that made me laugh and you looked at me confused.
"Hajime, I love you too. I realized in our 1st year of Highschool that I did. I'm not saying this out of pitty, I mean it."
You smiled and kissed me, it took me by surprise but I kissed back and smiled. Only when we pulled apart did I see the delivery man was there the whole time.

The day you proposed to me after I had a game against a Japanese team made me so happy. You held my hands and said a speech, Makki and Mattsun crying from where they were behind you. After your speech you got on one knee and pulled a ring box out, I had a hand over my mouth and tears in my eyes. You asked me to marry you and I, of course, said yes.
Makki and Mattsun were happy when we asked them to be our best men, Makki as mine and Mattsun yours.

Now here we are, watching our three adopted kids run around the park looking for bugs. I can't help but smile and hold your hand, you kiss the back of my hand.
"What made you so happy?" you ask, curiosity on your face.
"Nothing Haji, just memories," I smile. You hum and kiss my cheek.
"Where to after this Oikawa Tooru?"
"It's up to you and the kids Oikawa Hajime."
You had taken my name due to it being more important to me than your name was to you. I insisted I take your name, but you wouldn't allow it. Neither us nor Makki and Mattsun could stop crying at the wedding, we kept laughing at stupid jokes they made in attempt to get all of us to stop crying.
I'm glad your back with me, it's not as lonely at the top anymore.