04

Renato carried the human to the room across from theirs, laying him in the bed and tucking him into the sheets.

"He needs to be cleaned," Paxton said, staring at his soulmate at the boy from the doorway. "What if he gets sick?"

"It has been barely an hour and I believe you've already adopted this boy and are worrying about him like a parent would," Renato said, humor in his eyes. "Right now he needs to sleep. We can clean him up once he's awake."

Paxton glared at Renato. "I am not acting like a parent. I'm just worried that he'll wake up and need something... maybe we should sleep on the floor in here?" he asked as Renato walked over to him and hugged Paxton tightly, kissing his forehead.

"He will be okay," Renato promised, pressing their foreheads together. "We are supernaturals, both with enhanced abilities so if he wakes up, I'm sure we'll hear him."

Paxton took a deep breath. "Okay, okay," he said, glancing into the room once more before Renato closed the door and made Paxton follow him to their room.

"I'm sorry about tonight," Renato said in a somber tone. "I didn't expect Christo to be there."

"It's alright," Paxton said, a genuine smile coming to his face. "I did have one problem, though."

Renato remained quiet, waiting for Paxton to speak.

"Well, when we were in the bathroom I kind of threw our first kiss away. I think we need to redo."

The vampire blushed and nodded. "Oh, um, alright. If you want to!" Renato was obviously excited, a grin splitting his face as Paxton grabbed his hand and pulled him to the attached balcony.

The sky was clear so the stars were peering down on them, the air was cool and crisp, and despite the beauty of the outside world, all Paxton could see was Renato.

Renato brushed his hand against Paxton's cheek and settled behind his neck. He stroked the exposed skin of Paxton's neck with his thumb, making the demon tilt his head up slightly.

Paxton grabbed Renato's waist, pulling him closer so they were almost touching. As their faces neared, he closed his eyes and felt Renato's soft breaths hit his face.

Then, their lips connected.

Paxton thought it was stupid when the other demons described their first kiss with their soulmates as fireworks and the best feeling in the world, but as he and Renato connected their lips, he couldn't deny the truth.

He felt like he'd died and gone to heaven, which was a weird thought from someone who was immortal and had been created in Hell.

Renato pushed his tongue into Paxton's mouth, taking control of the kiss, gripping the back of Paxton's neck. He pulled away seconds later, biting Paxton's bottom lip as he did so. His fangs had come out, meaning he pierced part of Paxton's lips when they broke their connection, getting a small taste of his sweet blood.

Paxton stepped closer to Renato, resting his head under the vampire's chin and closing his eyes once again.

The vampire embraced him, rubbing his back as he looked out over the vineyard and where the small town was slowly winding down as the lights were turned off for the night.

"One of these days we will have to go to the town at night," Renato said as he held Paxton tight to his chest. "It's gorgeous at night and always fun to do."

Paxton hummed. "It's your home, so you get to show me what to do," he said, opening his eyes to see the lights fade from the town, leaving only the stars and moon above to give them light.