05

Paxton was sitting on the bed in Renato's room his knees pulled to his chest, thinking about the human in the room across from him.

Renato had noticed how tired Winter looked after their meal, so he sent him back to bed and told him to relax while they cleaned up breakfast. At first, Winter tried to quietly start cleaning up plates, but Renato firmly repeated what he'd said and Winter scampered off to his room.

"What is wrong?" Renato asked as he entered the room, a towel still over his shoulder making him look like a stay at home dad, which Paxton found to be a hot look on him.

Paxton sighed. "What kind of person sells their kid?" he asked as Renato sat down beside him and hugged his soulmate. "I don't know why I care, but I do."

Renato kissed Paxton's neck and behind his ear, watching his soulmate relax into his grip. He held Paxton's hands in his own, lacing their fingers together.

"There's nothing wrong with caring," Renato said, closing his eyes as he rested his chin on Paxton's shoulder. "It's a sad story and it hurts you to know that some individuals in this world are horrible and willing to do whatever it takes for money or personal gain."

Paxton sighed. "I just wish he wasn't so afraid. I feel, like, overly protective of him, but not in the way I feel for you."

"You see him as a child to you. It isn't uncommon in demons."

Paxton whipped around, making eye contact with his soulmate. "What are you talking about?"

Renato rolled his eyes in a playful way, scooping up his soulmate and carrying him to his office where he did most of his work. The office looked chaotic, but it was also organized.

There were papers all over the wall, each categorized under names of different supernaturals. A large bookcase was set up in the corner with different categories labeled on dividers in between them.

Renato went over to it and began carding through the books before he found a specific one and lifted it above his head in victory. He lead Paxton to the couch in his office, which sat right in front of the fireplace.

Paxton leaned against Renato and watched him open the book and flipped to a page.

"Demons usually have two types of possessiveness, specifically when they have a soulmate. You have a soulmate, so your possessiveness for me is a lover's view, in which you feel the need to be possessive so that no one else tries to touch me because I am your soulmate and you don't want anyone else to touch me in a lover's way.

"The other type of possession is more of a parental type of possession where you consider someone else as yours but you don't want to sleep with them or have sexual relations with them because they aren't your lover. Instead you're possessive because you've taken them into your care and you protect them like a parent would."

Paxton pursed his lips. "Is that why our friend, Darius, can have several lovers? Because he doesn't have a soulmate?" he asked, flipping through the pages of the book and taking in as much information as he could.

"Yes, that would make sense," Renato said, his eyes narrowed as he thought. "And it appears your demon has identified Winter as someone you wish to protect and see more as your child."

Paxton blinked, processing that. "So I have a son now?"

"Your demon thinks so."

Nervously, Paxton looked up at Renato. "Are you... okay with that?" he asked, not knowing how he'd feel if Renato made Winter leave.

He felt protective over the human and he didn't know why, but he was not going to shove away his protective feelings. It felt wrong to do that.

"Of course I am!" Renato exclaimed, kissing Paxton's cheek. "I've always wanted kids, but it looks like we're starting sooner than I expected."