7. THE NIGHT OF THE BLACKOUT

DESIDERIUM
CHAPTER SEVEN

➝ THE NIGHT OF THE BLACKOUT

THE NIGHT OF THE BLACKOUT

      COLLEEN AND LIZZIE HAD JUST SAT DOWN IN THEIR SEATS, the movie had just began when the screen began skipping and then the entire theater had gone black. The entire theater let out a groan in unison and Colleen shifted uneasily in her seat. Something felt off, she could feel something had caused this.

After a few more minutes of darkness, the movie had returned— continuing from where it had cut off from. And the entire audience cheered.

But Colleen gripped onto the arm of her seat, digging her nails into the cushion. She could see Will two rows below them, grab onto the back of his neck uneasily. Mike unphased.

The movie felt like it had gone on forever. Once the power had returned, every minute felt like an hour had passed. Tick, tock. Tick, tock. Colleen felt trapped, just awaiting the end of the movie. When the credits began to roll, she let out an unsteady breath.

The entire theater began to disperse with their friends but she could see Will still sitting at his seat, as Mike caught up with Lucas and Max. Lizzie tapped her on the shoulder, which pulled her from her own thoughts and back into the present moment. "Sorry, Liz. I'm gonna talk to Will real quick then I'll catch up."

Lizzie furrowed her eyebrows together and opened her mouth to question it, but before she could let out another word — Colleen was heading down the stairs towards Will. By the time she got down there, Will was still sitting in his seat and staring at the blank screen in front of him. It was almost like he was in a trance.

"Hey, Will," Colleen softly spoke before taking a seat beside him. Will shifted uncomfortably in his seat, like he'd just realized his friends left him. He went to stand up to find them, when Colleen put her hand out for him to wait. She repeated her thoughts in her head. Rehearsing exactly what she was about to ask him. She sounded crazy, "Did you feel it too?"

Will blinked, "Feel what?"

Colleen shrugged, "I don't know. I don't know how to explain it. But it felt like... Like something is happening again in Hawkins. Upside Down," She explained further. Will's face immediately paled and he touched back the back of his neck again, "You do. You could feel it."

"It wasn't just something, I felt him."

Colleen swallowed hard, "Him?"

"Will!" Mike's voice shouted from the back of the theater which made both of them jump on their seats. Will turned his head, "Come on!"

Will stood up and started to make his way out of the aisle, but Colleen called after him. But that didn't stop the younger boy from making his way towards Mike. He walked out of the theater and Mike stood there with crossed arms. Colleen rolled her eyes as she got closer to him, "What?"