Star Light, Star Bright

Jikook —

In which astronomer Jungkook believes his lost lover has taken another life as the most beautiful star in the sky
────────

A midnight blue hue surrounded the single huge wooden home built in solitude around an enormous desolate forest in what seemed like the middle of nowhere. The house was far from civilization, about an hour drive past the last gas station down the nearest public road. This isolation would be lonely for most, but to an astronomer, it was perfect. That's why dropping close to a whole year's salary on building this place was justified in his mind.

The thirty-year-old scientist looked through his favorite telescope, not even having to change the angle to get just the view he was searching for. The brightest star in the sky. The most beautiful star in the sky. His star.

"Jungkook! Did you really invite all of us over to see your brand new home just to occupy yourself with work?" The brunette turned from his telescope at the sudden intrusion, straightening himself up and accepting a glass of red wine from his close biologist friend, Kim Seokjin.

Behind him, four other figures followed, all clutching their own glasses and bring out two bottles with them to join the home owner at his luxurious backyard patio. The six men each sat in different crème-colored cashmere chairs in a circle, setting the bottles on top of the big glass table in the center.

"Your home is beautiful, Jungkook." His mentor Kim Namjoon rose his glass in a toast to his co-worker. "They did an amazing job on this place."

Hoseok hummed in agreement when Yoongi filled up his glass, the two analysts sitting beside each other. Jungkook gulped down the full half serving in his crystal wine glass, eyes trailing away from the group and back towards the very open sky to his right. "I'm really pleased with it. I was worried the view wouldn't turn out how I hoped."

Seeing the way his old college friend didn't look away from the open night galaxy, Taehyung let out a little laugh. "It's just funny to me that you spend almost 12 hours a day doing research on the sky just to drop most people's life savings on building a house just to get a better view on some star."

Jungkook shot his head towards the blonde, an offended expression twisting onto his usually nonchalant face. "It's..." The scientist took a deep breath, directing his gaze back to that one specific star in the sky. "It's my star. It's all I have." The sincere longing in his deep brown eyes shut the whole group up. They directed their attention to where he was looking, focusing on a star that seemed to be twinkling wildly in the sky as if it were happily dancing on it's own in the atmosphere.

"A long time ago someone I cared deeply for passed away." The friend group remained silent and patient while their friend took his time to get the words out. It seemed like what he wanted to say had been weighing heavy on his chest for far too long. Like it had been crushing him on the inside keeping it in, but as if he had kept this little secret in to keep it for himself. To make sure it was always with him. "There's no way to say for sure, but I'm certain this was his favorite star. He spent every waking moment watching it every single night. It was his only passion. It was his life." Jungkook let go of his composure in the chair and let himself sink back in the comfort, eyes still trained and glowing from the dancing light the star illuminated. "I don't know when, but I realized I was in love with him, so the day I was going to confess I spent all my extra money on buying him that star." His lips rubbed together in a comforting way, eyes watering as he spoke the deep seeded secret. "The next morning he had passed away... and the next morning that star shined brighter than ever and never stopped."