thirteen // second chances

His eyes flutter open as slow as molasses, and for a moment you question if he's even alive. A thunderstorm has started, and the rain is heavy and hard. The dead mans blood starts to run and mix with the water, trailing down the alley and staining Wills white shirt a pale red. "...y/n...your hands...they're warm...so warm." Will says softly. "It's okay.. You're okay. Just breathe." You say, your own breaths unsteady. Suddenly his eyes buck in realization and he pushes against you, pinning your back to the wall and stepping a good 10 feet away from you. He picks up a broken beer bottle from the floor and shakily raises it as a way to defend himself. "WHO ARE YOU!? OR WHAT- YOU BETTER START TALKING!" He yells above the rain. "Will! Please! Keep it down." He begans to yell and cry more, demanding to know if what Max said was true. What Max said? What Max said....? Shit. They knew. All of them knew. Elle, Max, Mike, they all knew now. It was over. How could you be so stupid?. You grab Wills arm, he tries to fight you but of course a broken beer bottle won't effect you, nothing you can't dodge. "Do you want to get arrested for murder Will, is that what you want?! If someone hears you yelling and sees the body!" "Better then ending up like him because of you!" Will said, eyeing the dead man. You grabbed Wills shoulders, inching only centimeters from his face. "Will. I am not your enemy. If I was I would have killed you already, I would have left you passed out there in the alley. And I think you know that." He swallowed and nodded and you pulled him into  a crevice in the alley. He stared at you with those scared, deer eyes. "What's going on with you?" He asked, tears brimming in his eyes. You held out your arm, ripping the remains of your sleeve. 012. It was dark and your arm was wet from the rain. He stared down at it, but his face didn't change into shock. You swallow, "How long have you known?" He pushes your wrist away. "Everyone else, only up until today. Me though..." he pauses and meets your gaze. "The day you came back tired, with all those cuts and bruises." The memory drifts over your head. The day Will Byers held your hand in Chemistry Class. "It scared me when I saw the cuts..I thought maybe you were- hurting yourself. I thought maybe you needed help. So I- I grabbed your hand to see if there were cuts...I saw the 012 brand. I think I denied it, kept it secret, because I didn't know what to believe, I think I didn't want to believe it... but now I know it's true." "...Why?" You ask, staring back down at the floor. The rain had stilled now, and your hair was beginning to dry damp against your skin. "I cared about you Y/N... I still do.. and even if you kill me... I don't think I can take back calling you my friend." It comes faster than you can stop. And next thing you know you're slapping him across the face. Tears run down your eyes. "ARE YOU FUCKING STUPID!? How- How could you!" He looked taken aback. This was the first time, the first time in years where you were more than just an experiment, more than a weapon. For the first time a person was real and genie to you. He held his face where you slapped him in shock, watching as tears spilled from your face. "I'm a monster Will! I was sent here to kill and destroy everyone you've ever loved! And yet-." He grabs your face, leaning his forehead close to your own. Your breaths sync and you can practically hear his heartbeat against the patter of the rain. "Elle got her second chance at life, I think you deserve one too."

After Wills outburst, Joyce went off to chase him, leaving the kids alone at the Byer residence. Her hands were shaking on the steering wheel, and she ignored the calls coming from Muary to her cell phone. She thought maybe she should have stayed, to console and explain the Hopper situation to an Elle who was clearly in a state of shock, but one look at Mike and she trusted her adoptive daughters boyfriend to take care of that. Right now she had to worry about Will. She couldn't loose him, not again. Especially to a girl who she had grown an attachment to, to a girl who she can't believe she trusted to be so close to her children. Thunder boomed as she drove down countless alleys, desperately searching for her son. As she turned, she braked in shock to find a body on the floor. She screamed and prayed it wasn't Will, and turned the body over to find nothing but a charred carcass. The body was too big to be Will, but that's not what worried her. Next to the body was a pair of footprints barley visible in the fresh mud, a pair of prints that matched her sons pair of new converse shoes. She jumped back in her car, not even caring to call the police about the burned body, but continued to follow the prints down the dark alley. Suddenly there was movement and a boy quickly ran out from an alley. Joyce was so anxious and going so fast she realized it was too late to break, and as she slammed on the break, she realized she would still hit this kid. With one final wide eyed look through the headlights as Joyce tried desperately to stop the car, she realized that the boy she was about to it was her own son. She screamed out in terror. Suddenly there was a flash of red, and before she knew it someone threw themselves at Will, bringing him to fly face first on the side of the alley, sliding him into the mud and landing on top of him. Joyce's car braked and missed the two children by centimeters. As she turned off the car with shaky hands, she realized if the person who jumped in front to save Will didn't act in time, she could have killed her own son.

You looked down at Will, breath panting and rain, mud, and trash sticking to your clothes and hair. He looked back at you in shock, just only realizing what could have just happened. If it wasn't for your lightning fast reflexes from hours of training, he'd be hurt, or worse. He stared back up at you from his place of being pinned on the ground and for a moment your faces were so close you thought he might've kissed you. "T-thanks." He said, so softly. You just nodded with a smile. "OH MY GOD WILL!" A voice yelled from behind you. Immediately you found yourself being violently pushed off of Will as Joyce Byers clutched her son tight. He didn't hug back, just sat there in shock. "Will- oh my god, are you okay? I'm so sorry I-." She cut off mid sentence as her eyes met yours. She brushed herself off of and cornered you in between the alley wall and her station wagon car. "I don't know if I should even trust you right now, but thank you for saving my son." She said quietly above the sound of the rain. "Ms. Byers... I want you to know something. I promise to you I will never lay a finger of harm on Will. I want you to know he's the first true friend I've ever had, and I would protect him at any costs, even if it means my own life. So please." That seemed to stir something emotional in her. And with a look back to Will tears mixed with the rain streaming down her face she nodded sternly at you, grabbing her hand in her own. She ran her fingers over the 012 mark. "You're just like her, aren't you?" She whispered, and you assume she meant Elle. "Yes and no. I would give anything to escape as easy and she did, I really would. But i'm afraid my situation is a bit more complicated. Brenn- The Russians, they have someone I love... but no matter the cost Ms. Byers, I want to help Elle just as much as you do."

Mike leaned against Elles door frame, Knocking slowly. When there was no answer expect for a soft cry from the other side, he sunk down against the door. "Elle..." He wanted nothing more to go in to his girlfriends arms, apologizing for the words left unsaid. He knew they had promised to never keep secrets from eachother, but Mike knew that this would surely damage their relationship. "You don't have to forgive me." He said, leaning his head against the door. "You don't even have to say anything. You probably have so many questions, but just know I did this- I kept this from you, so that I could protect you." There was a small scoff on the other side of the door, and he instantly knew Elle had taken offense to that. "He's alive... but... not doing well. And yes, Y/N isn't the person we thought she would be, but, I just wanted to keep you safe. All of us, especially me, would be so lost without you. So please, If you love me... forgive me." He was met with nothing but silence, the whispers of Nancy, Steve and the other close by. Tears ran down his face now, and for a moment he didn't even realize he was crying. "It's hard to process Elle, but I promise you,  i'll tell you everything and anything from here on out." His voice began to crack. "Even the dumb stuff, like when Lucas shot himself in the eye trying to train himself to fling at a Russian with a slingshot, or when Dustins pants fell down while he was trying to pick up his fallen snacks." He said with a broken laugh. "And the important stuff to... like how we're going to get Hopper back ... together." He rose from his seat on the floor and wiped his tears with the back of his sleeve. His hand wrapped around the doorknob, slowly turning it. "Elle... I love you." He said quietly. His fingers turned cold against the doorknob and with a final sigh, he pushed it open. He expected Elle to be standing there, beautiful tears streaming down her cheeks, her arms outsretched for Mike. As he opened the door, his heart dropped to his knees. There was no Elle standing before him, just a quiet and empty room, with clothes and supplies strewn all over the floor, and Mike began to shake it panic as he turned to the window. It was wide open. Elle had snuck out and was long gone. Mike screamed in fear for the girl he loved. Elle was gone.

/just a few more chapters to go guys<3