21.

Much different than from the night before, Maize did not wake from a nightmare and was the first one in the garden waiting for Laris instead of the other way around. For some time she sat alone in the same alcove, reconsidering what she was doing there in the first place. She changed her position from all three benches before she began pacing around the box of rose bushes.

Losing track of how much time had passed, she was beginning to think Laris wasn't going to show when the crunch of boots on gravel had her hand hovering over the knife strapped to her thigh beneath her dress.

He had bathed and changed into clean clothes, but much like her Laris looked as if he still hadn't slept since the day before.

Relaxing some, she actually gave him a welcoming smile when she noticed something in between his hands. "What's that?"

"This?" He held it up for her to see. "A gift, actually. Though somewhat self-serving, if I may be so bold."

Maize furrowed her brows as he handed her the black-sating wrapped parcel. It was heavier than expected, and Maize placed it on her wrap as she began to pull the material away. Laris in turn took a seat on the bench next to her, watching her expectantly.

Beneath the dark material was a blue leather-bound tome detailed with gold-plated filigree. There was no title but the cover work alone was art in and of itself. But it also meant she needed to look inside to determine what it was...

"The Spectre's Vow," she whispered.

"I know you said you didn't enjoy it when you were younger, but consider this my thanks for assisting me yesterday. And now that you have it, perhaps I can convince you to work on lines with me again."

She smiled up at him. "Self-serving indeed."

"May I?" he asked, holding out his hands.

She passed him the book.

He flipped through the pages with purpose and stopped about halfway through, placing the open book back on her lap.

On the left page was handwriting, which she assumed to be Laris' by the look of the inscription. To Maizelyn, it said in the margin, and then a line of the play's text was underlined, signed with kindest regards in the opposite margin.

"We need to search inside the aftermath of the patrimony to uncover the secrets we've been seeking our entire existence."

"My favorite line of the entire performance," Laris informed her. "There were certain parts my mother ensured I knew by heart growing up- this was one of them."

She slowly closed the book, meeting his gaze. "Laris this... thank you. You didn't have to get me this."

"I know. But like I said, self-serving. And I rarely have the opportunity to say thank you to those who help me."

Maize worried at the inside of her cheek and set the book aside on the bench next to her. She turned to face Laris before she spoke, her attention fully on the blue gaze of the prince sitting so close next to her.

"I have something to ask of you, then. If I may be so bold."

"By all means."

"There is someone who will be on the Hunt tomorrow... who I fear may harm someone dear to me. And I don't necessarily mean physically though I wouldn't count out such an option."

"If this is Lawson Forge, I assure you he will not harm anyone. I specifically asked that he join us on the Hunt to keep him away from you after that display in the library."

Maize wasn't expecting that. "I... no, not Forge, but thank you for doing that." She cleared her throat as her cheeks reddened under his scrutiny. "It is the husband of the Lady I saw you speaking with at the Ball. Caden of Alynthi."