Chapter 1

In a manner typical of an academic environment, they are called in alphabetical order.

    “Aaron!”

    Aaron swaggers confidently onto the stage, holding out his free hand to shake with Steve. The other hand is dragging what most would presume to be his weapon of choice: a guitar. He is wearing a black jacket and matching beret, typical of his major. Steve smiles widely and gestures for him to take a seat.

    “My first victim! Alright, Aaron. Tell me something interesting about yourself. And when I say interesting, I mean something I will actually find interesting. If your first answer isn’t good enough, you’ll have to tell me two things. Need a minute to think about it?”

    “Uh, no, I think I’ve got it,” says Aaron. He turns and winks at the audience. A roar of cheering and laughter explodes.

    “Oh dear,” says Steve. “You’re going to be one of my troublemakers, aren’t you?”

    “What?” says Aaron, feigning innocence. He quickly winks again, gaining more chuckles. “Right, so, something interesting… Um, I’m in a band.”

    Steve mulls this over for a moment. “Nah. Not interesting enough. Now you have to tell me two things.”

    Aaron laughs. “Okay… well, this is really weird, but I enjoy singing like a girl.”

    Steve sits up in his chair. “Singing like a girl? Now this I need to hear. Give us a demonstration!”

    Aaron then proceeds to stand up, let out a graceful tune in falsetto, and tip his cap to a crowd of ecstatic fans. Steve, unable to compose himself, merely nods and waves the boy offstage.

    Steve then gathers himself and turns back to the audience. “Alright! What a great start to these interviews! Next up, Amanda!”

    Amanda, standing backstage, glances quickly around her. “Wait -- that’s me! Crap! Oh, I’m not ready for this… Okay. You got this. Just go out there, look happy, make them like you.” She takes a deep breath, crosses her arms, and wanders out onto the stage. Steve is leaning back in his chair, staring at her expectantly. She takes a seat and quietly says hi, waving her hand at the audience and nervously glancing between them and Steve.

    “So. Amanda. Tell me something interesting.”

    “Oh -- um. You’re really putting me on the spot here… Uh. Something interesting? Like what? What do you want to know about?”

    Steve smiles and throws his hands up in the air. “You! C’mon! Tell me something about yourself. A fun fact.”

    “Um. Well… I really like Shakespeare… and Downton Abbey, and Sherlock. Basically anything British.”

    “So you hate America, is that what you’re saying?”

    Amanda is shocked, and suddenly even more nervous than she was before. “No! Of course not! I love America. I just… like… British television. I don’t know…”

    “I’m just messing with ya! Chill out; it’s okay.”

    “I’m sorry, you just -- this just -- this makes me nervous. I’m sorry. Oh my gosh, I’m making a fool of myself. Just -- ask me another question. An easy one.”

    Steve rolls his eyes. “Okay… what is your name?”

    “They already know that!”

    “I don’t know. I’d say you’re pretty forgettable.”

    “Oh my gosh! Why would you say something like that? Oh, dear, my name is Amanda Seale, in case anyone forgot! Goodness. This is stupid.”