Changes. For Better or For Worse?

~your p.o.v ~

"To be honest with you, I don't know what to do. Like I told Shikamaru before you, there was a conflict between many on whether anyone should pass the exams or not due to the final being suspended. That did not exclude you in the slightest," Tsunade spoke. It had already been a couple of days since she was officially named the Fifth Hokage, yet it was still weird seeing her sit where Hiruzen Sensei used to be. It made my stomach hurt just thinking about the fact that one day I was going to get used to him not being there... Or maybe that was just the morning run I did talking.

I was fresh out of the hospital and while I was mostly healed thanks to finally regaining communication with Kurama, I still had a small opening in the front of my stomach that was sealed off with stitches and nicely bandaged. Before I was released from the hospital, Tsunade noticed I had an infection in the wound, probably from that damn blade being in Orochimaru's fucking mouth, but a little extra cleaning, and a daily routine of medicine was prescribed to keep it under control.

Besides, all the hospital's other drugs were about to be completely out of my system and then Kurama would be able to handle the rest in no time! It's sort of funny in a way what had actually happened. We discussed it, and Kurama and I figured out that I had shut him out when I calmed down after the Kabuto fight. I had no idea what I did, but Kurama and I's best guess was that I had simply awakened too much of him at once and the sudden recoil afterwards wore him out causing him to sleep through the rest of the battle. Then the drugs I was given to keep me asleep and to help heal me kept him also out of the picture.

"However, I hear that the Third Hokage had nothing but the highest praises for your match. It seems you were one of the lucky few he meant to recommend for Chunin." Tsunade continued as she started to write something down. "Of course, a lot of people became concerned with his choice, wondering if he was just blindly favoring his own student. However, many who observed your fight as well as the proctors all felt the same way as the Third did, and I, having seen your skill personally, can attest that he did not make the wrong choice. From this day forward, I hope you will strive to achieve a level of excellence worthy of that headband. Congratulations. As of this moment, you stand a Chunin," Tsunade announced.

I could feel my face warm up and I knew a blush had formed. Still no matter how happy I was, I couldn't help but remember Hayate Sensei when she mentioned proctors. Would he have said the same thing about my fight? I bowed to Tsunade, "Thank you ma'am. I promise to keep on doing my very best to make everyone I care about proud," I claimed. She smiled and stood up to hand me the chunin vest, "I look forward to watching you grow even more," she admitted.

I took the vest and walked outside. I was waiting to get out of the room to giggle a little and really bask in how happy I felt right now, but standing outside was Team Asuma. "Huh, oh sorry the Fifth Hokage should be done in there, so if you need to talk to her I think you can now" I reassured them. Asuma chuckled, "nah we didn't need to talk to her. We actually stayed here for you," he pointed out.

I tilted my head, "me? Why? Did I get added to your team for a mission?" I asked. "No silly. We're about to go celebrate!" Ino cheered. "O-okay? Sssstilll don't know what that has to do with me though," I said slowly as if trying to slow down my thinking process to understand what was happening. "Oh, by the way, congratulations Shikamaru," I said as I gave up trying to understand and just switched the conversation. Shikamaru sighed and grabbed my shoulder, "Come on red," he mumbled as he began to lightly push me, forcing me to follow his team. "Ah, hey where are you taking me?" I asked but I didn't struggle much as they dragged me to the barbeque shop.

I sort of figured out of the way there that they meant they were celebrating both Shikamaru and me, but that didn't help with the embarrassment I was feeling. Why would they wanna celebrate my promotion? Shikamaru, I understood, but why me too? We sat down with Asuma and Shikamaru on one side of the table, and us other three on the other side with Choji in between Ino and I, with me next to the wall.